Chapter 1

Music for this chapter:

"Satisfied" - Aranda
"Stay" - Mayday Parade

Ricky

Boom, boom, crack, boom

Was that the storm I was hearing thud in my ears? Or was it my Goddamn heart? Who fucking knows! The storm was heavy outside our apartment. Rain rushed down the window pains, as a light show flickered in the clouds. Inside, the tension pressed against me more than those winds ever could.

Zane was more than pissed at me. He wouldn't speak, as is the usual for him in this state. I tried to preoccupy myself by working. Chris had sent me a sample of a song we were working on, so I was listening through it. I sat on the couch with my legs pulled up and laptop in my lap. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Zane strewing as he watched the TV.

He turned to me and attempted to ask something. I didn't hear over the rough lyrics playing in my ears. I pulled one of my headphones out as I asked him to repeat himself. An innocent question in an innocent situation, yet I was treated like a criminal.

"I said, who are you writing an email to?" Zane sneered. His arms were crossed rather pretentiously, as his steel eyes narrowed.

My hesitation was a mistake, because it'll make him believe me even less. Like I should have to prove myself to him! I tilted my laptop screen down so the light wasn't in my eyes. Taking my other earbud out, I replied, "I was listening to a demo Chris sent me. I was writing him back, about which parts need to be fixed. That's all."

Zane paused for a moment. He looked down his nose at me. I could tell he didn't believe me, and I honestly couldn't care at this point. What's the worst he could do? Start another fight? Oh, that's right, we're already in the middle of one.

"Can I see?" He asked.

I cautiously opened my laptop again. Then I pulled the headphones from their plugin, and pressed play to let him hear. Zane's eyes stayed fixed on the screen, as he read over my email to Chris, and the song played. These lyrics couldn't have been more ominous.

I am the deep shade of jaded. Will I burn down your fortress of lies? Six fucking years I have waited, to fucking cut you out of my life. No turning back.

Zane scoffed and stood from the couch. He walked off, and I couldn't stop myself from thinking, I wish he would walk away for good. Then I snap back to reality and realize, I can't throw away half a decade like that. Who else would love me anyways? Abused affection is better than dying alone.

I quickly finished off my email to Chris. Hitting send, I checked the time. It was a quarter to six, and Devin and Kylie were coming over for dinner at seven. Damn it, I didn't realize it was that late. The storm echoed through the house, reminding me of the monsoon outside. I looked out the window, allowing the lightning to reflect across my eyes.

Maybe it's best to ask Devin to reschedule. It wouldn't be safe to be out on these roads. The last thing I want is for him to get in an accident! Besides, what kind of an asshole am I to stick them in the middle of Zane and I's fight? The only reason I really don't want to cancel with them is because, I know Zane would be forced to act like he loved me if he had an audience. That's a beyond selfish reason to place stress and possible harm on my friends! What's wrong with you, Ricky?

I pulled my phone from my pocket and started fishing for Devin's contact. Just as I opened the text field, I found the only light dawning on me to be my phone screen. I took a moment to regain my breath as my eyes adjusted to the darkness. The power is out. Great. That's just fucking fabulous! I used the light of my phone to guide my way to the kitchen. There was already a candle burning on the counter, giving the ability to find a few more.