12 | Don

I'm sitting in the games room with Val, Nate, Drè, Rome, and Gio

I'm sitting in the games room with Val, Nate, Drè, Rome, and Gio. Nate and Val are bickering about who got the last kill, I watch amused as Val starts to strangle Nate saying he's a liar.

Drè's phone starts to ring and he answers it, he's talking in French, and when Val overhears what he's saying she stops strangling Nate and tells everyone to shut up. Drè continues the conversation before hanging up and running out of the room with all of us frozen in our spots.

"The Greeks attacked in Russia, the Petrov's are missing. Luis is coming to America by the sounds of it." Val whispers, hugging herself then abruptly standing up and running after Drè.

We all follow and end up in Luc's office, "... my father is coming here." Drè informs.

"How are we going to protect the French?" Vince asks, looking at Luc and our father who both look worried.

"We have no choice, if they want to come here then we'll help and protect them. He is my friend, I will never turn him away." Dad says.

"Won't it be too dangerous having us all together?" Nic questions, frowning at dad.

"Yes and no." Luc shrugs.

"Yes, it'll be dangerous, easy targets. We're not going to make it easy for them though are we?" Val says, walking around the room, "Drè how long till your father arrives and what else has he heard about eh Petrov's?"

Drè thinks over for a minute before replying, "he said he's leaving as soon as Em is packed and they'll be leaving, he said that all he heard was that they were attacked no one knows where they are now including Galen."

"It's possible they got away then, let's pray they have. Has anyone heard from them? Dom, Alec is your best friend — any messages or calls?" Val asks, looking intense.

"None."

"Fuck, okay. Here's what we're going to do, Luc contacts Xavier and inform him of what's happening to keep him updated. Dad gets some rooms ready for the Pierre's also I have a feeling if the Petrov's got out, they'll be heading this way — sort some rooms out for them too." She sighs sitting next to Nic, "Vince, check in with our guards, we need to triple security and make sure we have it locked down if this is going to be a haven for them."

Luc nods and starts to call Xavier, dad and our grandfather leave to set up the spare rooms. Vince and Nic leave to go sort out the guards.

"Sometimes I wonder, why aren't I the fucking Don of this mafia?" Val jokes and we all gape at her and she laughs at our expressions, "I was joking, relax. Nate gets in touch with Carlos and Marcus, we're going to need their help. Dom see if you can get into contact with Alec, Drè and Rome check the safe rooms in this house and make sure all weapons are accessible and we have everything we need in case the war comes to us."

Val lays back in the chair and closes her eyes, "I'm going to go find Gio, I need to talk to him about something." She stands up and leaves the room.

"Well..." I grumble, "she should be fucking Don by the way she just took control."

"If she wasn't so young, I'd agree." Luc laughs, "sometimes she puts me to shame, I'm not embarrassed though. I'm proud, it comes naturally to her. I know her though, she might joke about it but she doesn't want this position."

"No she wouldn't, she just wants to help." Nate agrees.

"Well, we should go do what we have to then. Wouldn't want her to get shitty at us." I grumble.

P E C C A T R I C I

Arms wrap around me, startling me

Arms wrap around me, startling me. I pull out my AirPods and find Val behind me with a frown on her face, "what's wrong Val?"

"When were you going to tell me about College? I checked in with them and they told me you pushed it back?" She pinches my cheek.

I knew she'd find out, I didn't want to upset her or make her mad. She has enough going on, I just wanted to stay here with her to help with what she's dealing with. I'm still going to go, I've just put it on hold for a bit.

"Yeah, I'm still going just not yet." I shrug, continuing to type on my laptop.

"Not good enough Gio, you have to go. If this is about me then you don't have to worry."

"Of course, I fucking worry Val, you're my sister, my twin. Why would I leave you here?" I snap at her.

Her eyes widen before she purses her lips, "and I worry about you, what if all this ends and something else comes up? Are you going to push it back again?"

"Yes," I answer without hesitation.

She sighs sitting on my bed and grabbing Luna and petting her, "what is this really about Gio?" She whispers.

Fuck. She knows me too well, this isn't just about what she's going through. Honestly, I'm scared, I have never been away from my family, what if I get there and I'm alone forever. Look I don't mind being on my own but I've been around a huge family all my life, I'd miss them all too much even if they do annoy me.

What if they forget about me while I'm there? Will they come to visit me? Will I only see them during break and holidays? I'm just so scared.

"You're scared." She summarises.

"Yeah," I whisper, closing the laptop.

She lays Luna back on my bed before coming over to me wrapping her arms around me again, "why are you scared?"

"I'm scared of being alone and everyone forgetting about me."

"Gio, I'll never forget about you and I'm sure our brothers won't either. You'll always have us around, we love you too much. There's the private jet, FaceTime and breaks, holidays. You don't have to be scared, I promise." She murmurs.

"I've already pushed back, once this is all over with Andino then I'll go. You're right, I have nothing to be scared about — thank you, Val." I turn around and hug her, making her laugh.

"Anytime twinny, now come. A lot is going on right now, bring your laptop because we need to update our online security." She pulls back and smiles at me.