LOVE, MARRIAGE AND DIVORCE: CHAPTER ONE

PART ONE

[Mercy]

Mercy slid into her seat, at the expensive restaurant, getting comfortable as she waited for her husband. She brought her wine glass forward and motioned to the waiters to bring her her favourite bottle of wine.

"Good evening, Mrs. Modikwa, will you be having the usual?" the waiter asked, her smile big as usual.

"Yes please," she said, as she looked at the bottle in her hands. "And pour one for my husband,"

"Of course," after getting her glass filled, she watched the waiter fill the other glass.

Smooth jazz was playing in the restaurant, hearing the small laughs of people eating. The wonderful smells of food cooking in the kitchen and took a sip of her glass, tapping her ring finger on the glass, enjoying the sound of it, something she had always done whenever she was happily thinking about her husband.

"Hello love," she heard her husband greet from behind her, giving her a kiss on the cheek, his big lips making her blush.

"Hey baby," she said as she watched him take a seat.

"Have you thought about what we talked about last night?" he asked, with a suspicious smile.

Mercy was already getting irritated. "I don't want to talk about it," she said through her teeth. "Not now, not ever,"

She watched as he casually took a large sip of the wine. She knew he was not an expert on drinking sophisticated wine, his village roots making itself known. She really thought she had upgraded him enough that she could avoid topics like one she was having. She made sure it would never happen.

Money controls men.

But women with money control them even more.

"There's someone I want you to meet, and she's on her way," he said, getting up, his smile getting bigger.

He followed where he was looking and saw a tall, slim woman in a flowy pink-blue gown, her hair wrapped in a high ponytail. She witnessed her take her husband's hand, and take a seat between them.

Mercy had been silent enough, she felt her brain start to work as the first thought came to her head:

Is he already thinking of another one?

"This is Phyllis, she's the head teacher at FSS," he said, she could not help but look at the face she communicated with about her children at her school.

She remained silent. "Hello Mercy, it's so lovely to see you," she greeted in her annoying, high-spirited voice.

"What is she doing here?" Mercy finally asked, when she watched Phyllis take her bottle and poured herself a glass.

"I just think this is going to be fantastic for the three of us, don't you think?" Phyllis said, her voice irritating Mercy.

"A second wife, Charles?" she asked, keeping herself as calm as she could, since they were in a restaurant. She already had a reputation, she was not going to ruin that.

"I want us to really talk about this, Mercy. I talked to my parent and relatives, and they have decided that this is the best decision for the legacy of our family,"

Anger bubbled in her body, squeezing her hand tightly closed, she swore her pointy nails punctured her palms.

"I also want to give you this," he said, digging into his jacket pocket, while Phyllis put her brown hand atop his dark one, and something twinkled in her eye.