LOVE, MARRIAGE AND DIVORCE: CHAPTER SIX

[Mercy]

One day before the wedding.

Mercy stared at the ceiling, lying in bed with only a sheet covering her body, the air conditioner blowing cool air which she felt on her toes. No matter how cold she made the room, the heat of stress kept her up at night. Charles' wedding was on the next day on Saturday.

How am I going to keep this from the children? She thought as her head ached accompanied by sleepiness. Her heart constricted, memories of getting married by Charles, she felt like she was on top of the world.

Tears stung at her eyes as the very thought of her husband and the woman being together.

How could I have been so stupid? She thought, finally getting up, the alarm beside her cried a few hours later, its loud ringing made her ears hurt.

Once in a while, she would think about if she was making the right decision of not telling her children. How long could she keep such a secret from them, with their final exams far away. She was pained by the fact that even if they found out about the wedding, she could not change how they reacted to the news.

His head teacher was going to be the children's step mother. She was floored at the realisation and felt the need to scream out loud. She did not want to change her attitude, not wanting her children to worry about what was going on with her.

*******

[Carol]

Carol looked at Therisanyo and Lerato and wondered how they were going to feel when they find out about the wedding. She could tell by the looks on their faces that they had no idea about what was about to happen tomorrow.

"Have any plans for the weekend?" she asked, being very cautious that she does not come of as suspicious. She had no doubt that the siblings were smart, they could pick up on the smallest things and find out whatever answer they were looking for.

"Not really, what's happening?" asked Therisanyo, as he swallowed another spoonful of Oats.

"I have debate club, badminton and organising the school talent show," said Lerato, jotting something down on her brown book.

Walking up to Mercy's master bedroom, she saw her seated by her vanity, a sullen look on her face. She could tell the news was already doing some damage on her. Carol can not even begin to imagine what Mercy was going through.

"Good morning," she greeted in a happy mood, wanting to get rid of the tension in the room.

"How are you, Carol? Did you get the dress from the dry cleaners?"

"Yes, I have it in the wardrobe," and went to grab it. The plastic crinkling as she took it out. The black and brown mid-length dress was laid out on the bed, she looked it over to see if there were not any stains.

She walked over to Mercy and stood next to her, and said the words, "I know about the wedding," whispering in case one of the kids sneaked their way into the room.

Mercy looked at her, surprise written on her face. She put a hand on her shoulder when she saw tears gather in her eyes and then leaned over and sobbed.

Then suddenly she heard Lerato yell, "Taxi is here, bye!"

"Please don't tell them. They could be devastated,"

"They have to know. Better from you than from someone else," she said earnestly.

"Where do I even begin?"

"They're your children, you'll know what to do,"

"I'll tell them after school,"

Now that she was alone in the big house, with her siblings both at school, her mind went to think about Carlos. She wondered what he was doing, and said a silent prayer to her little brother.

Growing up, Carlos had always been a handful, even before their parents death. The first time she knew he was going to be trouble, was when she was called to his school for vandalising his classroom, and that was when she met the very people that would get him in his current situation.

As he grew older, he had grown particularly sneaky with the way he committed his crimes. From stealing school supplies, breaking into other people's cars without the alarm going off, he had moved on to bigger and better things, all while avoiding arrest, he had her worried that she was going to be indirectly involved his poisonous affiliations.

Dim-Sum and Calvin had been silent about learning about Carlos, she could tell that the last time they saw him, it had not been on good terms, and was one of the worst times on their lives. She took care of them the best as she could, along with helping them deal with the terms of losing their parents, she was not sure if them under reacting about Carlos' message was troubling, and they have moved on pretty much quickly.

Her heart had raced as her mind went deeper into dangerous territory, she had moved to decide to send them a message to talk about what their reactions about Carlos was about.

Hey guys, I'm back. It's been a minute since I uploaded, here you are.

Thank you so much guys for reading, and any critiques are appreciated.

-A Nucleus Theory. ❤❤