≼≽ Chapter 1 ≼≽

They told me that it would disappear within a few days.They told me it wouldn’t linger for long. They told me that this heaviness and pain are just temporary. That I would just be fine in a few days.

But why...does it…?

It’s eating me up. The pain is too much. My head is blank and yet it feels heavy like something is dragging me down to the abyss, deep waters. My heart is pounding with the heaviness that encloses it. My eyes are burning and everything feels numb under my touch.

I feel a pat on my shoulder and I slowly glance up, meeting the eyes of my mentor at the agency, Karasuma sensei. He looked at me with sympathy and lost eyes.

He looked a bit older when I first saw him 12 years ago. His once pure black hair had small streaks of white hair that you can see from afar, although his hairstyle remains the same. You could see wrinkles forming from the sides of his eyes and on his forehead as he looked intensely at the coffins of his former students. But overall, his seriousness and uptight attitude remains the same as ever.

“If only they sent the victim’s files before the suspect’s then maybe we could have…” he tried to comfort me but couldn’t. He tightened his grip on my shoulder and looked down as if he was trying the right words to say to comfort my mourning soul.

“It’s alright Karasuma sensei,” I patted his hand and forced a smile at him, although it twitched ever so slightly. “I’m fine.”

He nodded and said nothing, moving away and giving me space to breathe. 

B*tch-sensei followed him from behind and gasped in denial at the coffins of her former students. 

“Oh my G-” she cupped her face and tears started falling from her face and onto the floor. Her trembling legs gave her out and she fell onto the floor, trying to contain her sobs with her hand.

"How did this happen?" She cried. 

Even though she looks at us like we were annoying pests to her,I guess B*tch-sensei does care for us after all.

She still had her beauty radiating from her. Her long waist-length hair was now parlored to a short chin-length hair that is covering her face as she bowed her head and wept. 

Karasuma-sensei ran beside her. Grabbing his wife from her shoulders, he leads her away from the coffin to give the other guest to pay their respects.

Upon seeing my face, b*tch-sensei gasped.

"Karna...how awful," she embraced me and cried on my shoulders but I didn't hug her back. I didn't have the energy and the heart to comfort anyone right now.

An agent walks up to us, telling me that my partner in the police department had arrived.

A black hair guy walks up to the coffin, giving his respect to my deceased brother. He then made his way towards me and my gold eyes made contact with his blue ones.

He is my partner in the police,the only person who I could trust among them. He filled me with the information that was missing from the files they sent me. I later learned that his family member, too, was caught up in their gang wars.

He bowed in respect but I didn't return the gesture, too tired both mentally and physically. All I did was give him a small nod and he left, joining his team on the tables. Which I am grateful for.

"We just came by to pay our respects but unfortunately," Karasuma-sensei sighed deeply, pinching the bridge of his nose. "The higher ups asked us to investigate something," he continued murmuring curse words under his breath.

"We'll come next time and hopefully by then, we can have more time to mourn. So until then," he patted my head and looked at me with consoling eyes. "Please hold on."

B*tch-sensei pulled away from me and cupped my cheeks, stroking ever so slightly. "You'll be alright," she said with a small smile, comforting me.

But are those words enough to comfort someone who lost someone precious to them, along with a part of themselves?

They stood up, bowed, and headed for the door with B*tch-sensei covering her wheezes with her handkerchief.

'Who would have thought that our former teachers would end up together?'

A funny thought came to me, smiling quietly to myself. Memories of so long ago flashes before my eyes. And my frown returned.

Was the room always this suffocating?

I stood up from my seat. My ass felt numb from the time spent on sitting down on the ground.

I strode towards the floor. The wails of Nagisa's mom filled the other room with her banging on the floor board. I wonder what kind of pain she's feeling, losing her only son.

Is it like mine? Or far much worse?

I'll never know.

Walking through the hallways, choirs of condolences and eyes of pity kept glancing my way as I walked by. But I pay no attention.

I need air. I need space. I need somewhere to clear my head.

I need to breathe.

Opening the doors to the top floor of the building, a cold July air greets my face. The sounds of the city filled the empty and bitter night. The city lights glimmer against the abyss sky along with the small stars.

It was beautiful. But right now, I can't see it.

I held the half-cemented wall and breathed in the frigid wind. I clenched my trembling hands. They weren't shaking from the cold but rather from the thought.

'What am I supposed to do now?'

Something stung my eyes. I looked up and closed my eyes. Calming myself. Composing myself.

I'll be fine.

When my breathing finally eased, I decided to head back but it all happened too fast for me to notice.

A sudden force hit my shoulder, hard enough for me to lose my footing and I tripped backwards. I tried to hold onto the wall but it was too late for me. 

I was already falling.

Because of my condition right now, I let my guard down. I didn't hear his footsteps nor sensed his presence. And this is the result of my carelessness.

And now, the last thing I'll see before meeting the doors of death,

Is the grinning face of Tetta Kisaki!

I swear. Even if I die. Even if I will not be able to survive this.

I will make sure you pay for the pain you caused to me. To my partner in the police department. To everyone.

I swear. My final thoughts before I accepted my death. Before I was ready for the agonizing impact on my back.

I closed my eyes and was awaken by

The sound of an alarm clock.

[A/N: depressing? I know. But I need something to stimulate the story. Sooo~

Don't worry, the next chaps won't be as heavy and as... depressing as this.

I'm excited to write about Mikey kun and Toman 😩darn it PATIENCE!!!]