≼≽ Chapter 2 ≼≽

I sprang up from the fluffy, comfortable sheets and gasped heavily.

I glanced around my surroundings only to find myself...in my old room?

Everything looked the same as it did when I was in middle school—from the interior designs to how the furniture were placed to the stack of workbooks piling in the corner of the room.

The rings of the alarm clock were drowned by my thoughts that couldn't wrap around what was happening.

'What's going on? Shouldn't I be dead by now? What am I doing in my old room? Is this what the afterlife looks like?'

In the midst of sorting my thoughts, a sudden pound on the door startled and made me jump back slightly, bringing me back from my thoughts.

"Oi Karna, if you're not going to wake up anytime soon, I'm gonna leave you."

Wait-

This voice...it can't be…

Poundings continued to hammer on the door. "Oi Karna, why are you so silent? You better not be sleeping there."

This familiar presence behind the door…

"Oi oi, at least turn off your stupid alarm clock. You're gonna wake up the entire neighborhood with that," I could visibly hear him smirk on the other end. Laughing to himself at his own joke.

This familiar laugh...

He stopped laughing and continued knocking on the door. "Hey, b*tch why aren't you saying anything?"

These insults…

"I'm gonna kick open the door if you continue to stay quiet," he threatened but I said nothing.

Maybe because I wanted to see him.

A deep sigh could be heard from the other side of the door. "You're really stubborn aren't 'ya?”

“Well, don’t get mad at me later on K? I already warned you,” he threatened as shufflings could be heard from the other end and foosteps moving away from the door.

He walked back but in a faster pace, my heartbeat hammered hard against my chest. I clenched the sheets and I wanted in anticipation for the person to kick open the door, silently praying that it is really him.

That it would be-

He kicked open the door and I was right. He loooked younger than he did before, probably around the age of middle school. He looked the same way as he did back then.

He rubbed the backed of is head as soon as he made eycontact. Sighed in relief, he shook his head and looked at me.

No way…

“Oi Karna if you’re up why didn’t you-” he stopped when e looked at me again. His eyes widened and froze.

My vision blurred and my contained sobs escaped my lips. “Karma-niichan?” I grit my teeth as tears fall from the side of my face.

“H-hey, what happened to you? Did you have a nightmare? At this age?” He joked as he made his way towards me and sat on the side of my bed.

And in a flash, I embraced him, hugging him tightly and crying on his shoulder. He stiffened under my embrace and patted my back awkwardly and hesitantly.

“Im sorry! I couldn’t save you!” I cried. “And Nagisa and [what’s her name again]” I whimpered and tightened my hug.

“You guys died but I didn’t know. You guys were in danger but I couldn’t save you. Im sorry!” I blubbered.

My screams and cries filled the room but the warmth of my broher’s embrace comforted my aching and guilty heart.

‘Wait- warmth?’

“Y-yeah. It’s ok Karna. Me, Nagisa and Kaede are alive and well. It was just a nightmare,” he grinned uneasily.

I broke the embrace and looked at him in the eyes. “What are you talking about? I saw it. I saw it with my own eyes!” I grabbed is arms and screamed. But he looked...lost and...confused?

I tried to find  looking for nay signs in his face, signs that tell me that he was hiding the fact that he died. But there was none.

My eye brows furrowed. “You don’t remember?”

He sighed, grabbed both my hands, and placed them in front of  me.

“I don’t have the slightest idea what you’re talking about Karna but it was all a nightmare. None of it was real,” he looked deep into my eyes, like he was convincing me that it was all a dream.

“But-”

He grabbed my hand and placed it on is chest, just above his heart where I could feel it beat healthily. He then placed it above mine, as I felt the pumping beneath my palm.

He stared at me like it was obvious but I was taken aback. Can you’re heart beat in the afterlife?

“I may not know what you were  dreaming about but, all I know is that if you don’t wake up now, we’re gonna be late,” he stood up, placing both of is hands in his pockets.

“Late for what?” I asked in confusion, wiping the tears from the side of my face.

He grinned and that’s when I finlly noticed the outfit he worn and the bag he carried along with him. It was his old uniform.

“We’re gonna be late for class.”

[A/N: When is Toman gonna appear?

Probably at chap 4-5 😀💀]