Chapter 8

As Ada threw a coat onto my head as I was walking through the dinning room to the front room where Polly sat in front of the mirror. "Come on pol, Tommy's expecting us" Ada spoke standing beside me "who's with us?" She spoke up with a breath  "Isiah and two lee boys" I replied looking at her reflection in the old mirror. "How long since you two have had a fuck?" She spoke up slowly turning around , I snapped my head from looking out the window "what!" we both said in a huff of shock, "it's been nearly two years with me". Did she do a like of cocane after waking up? "over Christmas, I counted it up, so I've made a New Years resolution to change the situation". "Oh anyone particular in mind?" I asked as I pulled the coat around my shoulders and tucked my blouse into my trousers.

Ada moved her grip onto her purse looking at me with confusion in her brown eyes. "not really" said pol. She picked up her case and put on her black gloves, " just me and someone unsuitable" she opened the door and walked out onto the cold street. Me and Ada both looking dumbfounded at each other we soon followed behind her like little puppies. The men outside who crowded around the door tipped there hats at us three as we walked towards the black car.

"Looking good today Eddie" said Isaiah with a playful smirk as he walked towards me, "don't flatter your self Izz" I smiled as he opened the door and I climbed in beside Ada. he soon sat beside me and looked at me with a smile before looking out at the dirty streets.

-time skip-

I had been told by Ada that I would have to be sent to the factory as they needed to finish business. I walked in and my heels echoed through the factory as every mans face turned towards me as I walked towards Arthur's office. I heard a man walking in a fast pass behind me as I spun around I found The man from earlier standing in fear. "Miss Shelby, they've broken into the paint shop. They're chucking paint around" he said out of breath and much of a rush. I could feel my blood boil " get to your focking point" I  spat "I...I think they mean to set light to it" as I felt the room get tighter and hotter I pushed passed the man almost sending him to his feet and storming down to the paint shop not wasting any time.

As I got closer to the paint shop I could hear distant shouts. I reached and grabbed a hammer from a workers desk and rushed off to the distant shouting I could feel the grip on the hammer get tighter and tighter. As I walked down the stairs I threw off my coat and I could see the men throwing paint over the walls. "What is this, a party? Fuck off out of it! Get out!" As the two men scurried off I could feel a thick wet heavy paint been thrown over me. I wiped off the paint on my face and took a big breath "I really wasn't  gonna hit ya. But that wasn't focking nice". I felt my body burn and I threw my right fist straight into the mans cheek as he stumbled back with the force. I pushed his body into the table as he pushed me away, he fell to the ground and I got up from almost losing my balance I held onto the post and took a deep breath and walked to the man who was on his knees and kicked him in the stomach again and again. As I went to get the hammer off the floor I couldn't hear a word he spoke as my head buzzed with anger and everything went blank.

I could hear him beg but didn't say my name as I finally heard him shout "No miss Shelby, Arthur Shelby help, I beg please I beg you help me!" I kicked him into his chest as he scrambled to the door. " Fock your focking revolution!" I turned to meet Arthur stood there laughing at the paint all over me. "Your a focking mess love" I wiped my nose and chuckled "where the fock where you" I walked towards him and heard the sound of men walking I didn't have enough time. He looked at the door and grabbed my shoulder and pushed me behind a wall, two Italians entered and fired there guns. As we both stopped running  he put his hand up to his mouth telling me to keep quiet.

As he held his hand on his knee for me to push myself up onto the scaffolding I lifted myself with a struggle. I finally got up and held my hand out for him to climb after me.  I pulled him up then We both crawled on our bellies and he stopped me by grabbing my foot as I looked at him behind me he pointed under us down at the Italians looking around the work shop. We both found a way down and stopped walking as he pushed me behind him I slowly walked quietly as I could as I followed behind him. He went behind the Italian and swung a hammer across the Italians head  and stumbled on the wet floor. He grabbed the Italians gun. And walked towards a wall and leant onto it, he pulled two shoots into another Italians chest before he could come any closer to the corner of the wall. As he slid down the wall I grabbed the other Italian that was whining on the floor after been structured in the head "where are you going? Come here and stop focking whining" Arthur got up and stood behind me "focking hit men, are ya? Huh?"
I grabbed his hair and pulled his head back and dragged him to the paint as Arthur leant against a post. "Edith focking Shelby?" Arthur spoke in a worried voice  "that's who ya focking wanted and that's what your going to get eh" I struggled to speak as I pulled the man up to the paint tub  "what about focking John Shelby" as my body grew hotter my mind went blank and I threw the mans head into the paint as he struggled to find air. As paint flew everywhere I could hear buzzing in my head.I heard the gun shots of the morning when they killed my focking John. My John my brother. They killed him and They ain't going to get away with that. My mind was going into a spiral.

"Right. All right he's gone. He's gone!" Arthur shouted as he pulled me away from the dead Italian, I was out of breath as Arthur pulled me into his chest my breathing bounced back into my face. I didn't dear to cry I just held onto Arthur's waist like he would leave if I ever let go . "It's all right, he's focking dead" as I looked at the Italian Arthur pulled away and stretched his arms and held onto my shoulders. He looked away From me and walked to the burning fire "off you go, go get cleaned, I'll deal with this focker" I ran my hand through my hair as the paint ran onto my back. I walked to grab my coat off the floor next to the bannister and rubbed the dust off. I walked up to the factory floor and began to walk to the street above I wrapped the coat around my cold shoulders. knew I would get sly comments behind my back but it wouldn't bother me.