Pretty girls and orange slices

School has been great for Brendon, especially his since Ryan was always there, giving him a pencil if he forgets, helping him with his counting, or even just listening to him rant about how batman isn't as cool as superman during recess.

They did that for a whole year and now they were in second grade, their friendship nothing but strong.

"So then i was like you can't have my cars, did you pay for them? I don't think so." Brendon sassed as Ryan pushed him on the swings, him biting into an orange slice.

"But you didn't pay for them either, your mommy did." Ryan giggled as he pushed with all the strength his stick like hands had.

"But still! He couldn't have my cars." Brendon pouted.

"Well i mean you could --" Ryan started but he was cut off as a girl with bright blue eyes and golden blonde hair came skipping over.

"Hi Brendon, can you push me on the swings?" She asked giggling, holding her pink frilly dress up so she wouldn't get any dirt on it.

Brendon looked up and frowned. "But i don't even know you, and i'm busy." He grumbled chewing at his oranges.

The girl pouted. "But i'm a pretty lady, you're supposed to be a gentleman and play with me." She whined.

Brendon scoffed as his small feet struggled to stop the swings, Ryan lightly bumping into him and his hand going instinctively to Brendon's hand to help him balance.

Brendon gave Ryan a smile as he held his friends hand tight. "Please, you pretty? Ryan's prettier than you and he's a boy!" He giggled his cheeks stretching at his own jokes.

The girls eyes narrowed and she huffed, kicking dirt on Ryans' favorite ninja turtle shoes before she stormed off.

Ryan made a noise and quickly bent down, trying to brush the dirt off. He didn't have much in his life, his parents barely cared for him. But he cherished everything he got.

"What a meanie!" Brendon pouted and got up, running up to the girl, pouring the contents of the container that had his oranges all over the girls expensive dress.

"Stay away from my friend! Or next time i'll take your candy from you!" Brendon yelled looking at her friends all sharing candy.

Brendon ran back to Ryan and kneeled down, helping Ryan clean up his shoes.

"There, they're back to their cool selves." Brendon giggled.

Ryan smiled and looked up, his hazel eyes full of awe at his friend. "Thank you for sticking up for me." He said quietly, looking down at his hand shyly.

Brendon's smile never left his face as his small arm struggled but reached around the taller boys shoulder.

"That's what best friends are for." He beamed as the bell rang.

"Last one there is a rotten egg!" Brendon cheered but his arm never left Ryans.