Chapter 4: Boiled Over Desires

Chapter Four

Marcel excused himself to take a phone call, walking off towards the entrance of the restaurant. I headed back to the bar to the kids. Only one was missing. Davina. Zach was sitting down with Cami standing next to him, waving me over. "What's wrong? Where's Davina?" I asked.

"She got upset. The boy she liked left and we couldn't find him then she took off."

"And you let her go alone?" I frowned, worried. I looked around for Marcel. I had to let him know.

"I got a note from the boy," Cami said.

"Wait. What? The boy was nowhere to be seen and then he found you, a stranger, and gave you a note for her?"

"Uh, yeah. I think so," she said.

"Let me see it," I demanded, getting into mom mode. She handed it to me reluctantly and I read over the scribble: "Davina, I saw you tonight. Let me know if you want to talk and meet somewhere. I still have the same number."

I frowned, furrowing my brows. "Can I have that back? I want to catch up with her," she said, snatching the note from me as I barely held it out to her. She was acting extremely strange. Cami took off before I could tell her to wait for me.

"What's wrong, mommy?" Zach asked me, patting me on the forearm. I furrowed my brows, before shaking my head. I forced a smile on my face, wiping his mouth with a napkin on the bar top.

"Davina was a little upset. Auntie Camille went to check on her. You ready to go home now?" I asked him, running a hand through his short hair. He nodded, eating more French fries. "We can stay and eat if you want."

"Where's Marcel?" He questioned me instead, looking around for the man. I glanced around briefly before my eyes landed on him. I needed to tell him Davina took off.

"He's talking with some friends. Let me pay and we can go say goodbye."

Zach nodded, eating the rest of the fries while I closed out my tab. Then as promised I took my son's hand and led the way through the crowd. "Marcel?" I called out, trying to get his attention.

He spun around to see the two of us. Then his brows creased together. "Where's Davina?" He questioned.

"I don't know," I told him. I watched concern etch all his features. "While we were dancing I guess she took off. Cami said she was upset, cause she wanted to talk to a boy in one of the bands. Then my sister took off after her saying I guess the boy left a note for Davina to contact him so they could meet up. And I didn't run off after then because I had to pay and I wanted to let you know—"

He sighed, "it's okay. I'm sure she's alright. She's with Cami, right? You think?"

I nodded, "I'm sure she is. I would call her and see where she is. I didn't think she'd be the type to just run off."

"Davina's uh... a little unpredictable."

"All kids are," I pointed out. "Go find her. I know you're dying to. And let me know she's safe and sound." He raised an eyebrow. "I'm giving you my phone number so pull out your phone before I change my mind."

He pulled it out of his jean pocket, grinning as he saved my number and sent me a text so I had his. "Well, thank you, Davina for running off," he joked half her heartedly.

I shook my head, amused. It was true. Basically she's the reason I was giving him my number. "I'm going to get this guy home. But he wanted to say goodbye to you."

"Aw," Marcel grinned, bending down slightly so they were eye level. "I'll see ya around, little man."

"When?" Zach asked. Marcel quirked a brow, looking up at me now. My son followed suit with his puppy eyes. "Can he come with us tomorrow?"