Chapter 5: Business Dinner With Klaus

Chapter Five

I was sitting a table alone, papers and my laptop scattered in front of me. It was Wednesday. My third day on the job. And I was beyond overwhelmed. Monday morning I got to meet everyone that worked in the kitchen. They were all happy to have me here. And I was happy to be here, of course I was. I loved working in a kitchen. That's where I was in my element. Especially when I got to be in charge.

But when the bar manager Mark, my old high school sweetheart, had said the place was in need of a lot of changes, he meant it. Hell, it might have been an understatement. My staff was between clumsy, lazy, and inexperienced. Not to mention I had only two sous-chefs that bumped heads nonstop. The place was busy every single night. Happy hour and the dinner rush here was no joke. That kept me beyond busy. I haven't comprehended any recipes but the main selling meals. Anything else I was making or assisting in making, I didn't retain the specific instructions or ingredients. The meals here were very different to anything I made in Chicago.

"Gemma," a voice called out to me. I looked up from all my worksheets to see Klaus walking over to me.

"Hi," I smiled politely. "Long time no see."

It's been a week since the masquerade where he and I danced together before he left me. "A little birdie told me you worked here," he said, taking the seat across from me without invitation.

I furrowed my brows, confused. The only people in town I knew were Cami, Kieran, and Marcel. "Marcel told you?" I assumed.

He shook his head, "No. Your sister. You started Monday, I think she had mentioned a few days ago."

"You and my sister talk?"

"She's helping me with my monologues," he said, shrugging casually. "But enough about her. I came to see you."

"Did you, now?" I questioned. "Why?"

"I know you're the new head chef here, but, I was wondering if I could take you out to dinner. Somewhere, nice."

I raised a brow, "are you implying this isn't nice?"

"It's a dive bar with a full kitchen. I want to take you to a restaurant with a bar."

I chuckled, "smooth. But I don't have time to be dating."

"It's one dinner. Don't you want to check out the competition before you make any changes here?" He retorted, raising a brow daringly.

"Where?"

"Tomorrow night. I'll pick you up?"

I rolled my eyes, "Wait. I can't just make plans. I have to work until five. This is short notice, and I have kids, Klaus. I need someone to watch them."

"And I have one on the way. Find a sitter. I'll see you at 7."

My eyes widened and I stammered to reject him. But he stood and left the building. What a charming fucking bastard. Still I was impressed. That was beyond smooth. It reeked overly confident. But a weird feeling filled me. I had a... date. With a handsome British man. That was my dream since like middle school. What was I going to wear? And who was going to watch the kids? Ugh. I had no way of reaching him to tell him that I couldn't go.

***

I was just getting to the church to pick up the kids from Uncle Kieran. I had asked him if he could watch the kids tomorrow night as well and he said no. He had a meeting with political figures. "Cami works as well," I frowned.

"Why? You working late tomorrow?" Kieran asked me.

"No," I sighed. "I'm supposed to be having a sort of business dinner with someone to check out some competition. I want to take Rousseau's to a new level."