Chapter 14: The Harvest Didn't Work

Chapter Fourteen

I walked hastily into the room I left my kids in with Klaus. I could hear Zach speaking loudly and Klaus' laughing. When I entered, my son was running around the couch Klaus sat on with Cheyenne on his lap. Chasing my son was a toy truck of some sort Klaus controlled. Zach giggled, jumping so the truck went through his legs past him.

"Good one," Klaus cheered.

"What's going on?" I asked, smiling as I entered the room. The truck came to a stop as did my son for a moment before he sprinted to hug my waist. "Are you having fun?"

"Yes. Klaus has the coolest toys, mommy," Zach answered me, looking over his shoulder. "Can I show her the suit of armor?" He asked Klaus who nodded.

My son took my hand, yanking me to the corner of the room towards a large wooden storage chest. My son opened it, undoing the large black locks on the front with ease. Then he reached in and pulled out a silver helmet. My eyes widened and my brows shot up. "Oh wow," I mumble to myself. Knowing what Klaus was and how he was centuries old made me aware of just how real this knight's suit of armor was.

"Isn't it cool, mommy?" My son asked, grinning from ear to ear. I nodded my head back as I reached in for the other pieces. Sterling silver with barely any rust to them.

"Very cool," I said, putting back the breastplate. I then pulled Zach away from the chest. "You okay? Sorry mommy was gone for awhile," I told him, fixing his messy hair.

"We're fine. We just been playing," he shrugged. "Where's Marcel?"

"He's with Davina," I said and he nodded.

"Can I see her?"

"I'm afraid not. She's in bed, still sleeping. It's like a hospital room up there," I told him and he grimaced. "Maybe when she wakes up you can say hi for a minute. Okay?"

He nodded, "okay. Can I go play with Klaus?"

I laughed, "sure." Can he go play with Klaus? Ha. As if the grown man was one of his little friends from back home. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face as Zach rushed to the couch next to Klaus, climbing on top of his lap next to his sister. I furrowed my brows. They both were awfully comfortable with him. I wasn't gone more than thirty minutes.

"Make yourself at home, love," Klaus said to me.

I bit back a smile, "You have a kitchen stocked with food? Maybe I'll make us all a nice brunch."

Klaus nodded, "Yes, there's food. Not a lot of ingredients but enough for you to whip something up. Let me show you."

He stood up, holding my daughter who passed to me. He called out for Zach who was eager to follow. Then the four of us were headed downstairs through a courtyard to a very large and pristine kitchen. Albeit, a little run down. Nothing modern about it. As I searched the fridge and the cabinets, I found more than enough to make a nice meal. Eggs, waffles, fresh strawberries, and enough to make muffins.

Eventually Klaus, carrying my kids joined me in the kitchen. Zach was bragging about his mom, the chef, which just warmed my heart. However, the more he talked, the more Klaus' stare felt intense. I wasn't sure if it was admiration or adoration, but I was desperately wishing Marcel would hurry on down to be the buffer.

Just as we had settled at this huge dining room, heels stomping into the room. "Rebekah," Klaus greeted the blonde that was joining us.

She frowned as she took in all of us. "He's taken the girl," she said, crossing her arms and looking between Klaus and I.

"Who has?" Klaus asked, standing up.

"Bloody, bloody Marcel!" She snapped as it was obvious.

"Wait, what?" I frowned.