Chapter 17: A Witch Hunt

Chapter Seventeen

I ran through the creepy courtyard crawling with what I knew were vampires. "Marcel!" I shouted when I spotted him in a small crowd of bodies. He stepped out into the open just in time to catch me as I crashed against him. His strong arms providing me with the comfort I was craving. I sniffled as I wrapped my arms around his back to hold him tightly.

"Baby, what's wrong?" He asked softly, kissing the top of my head before slowly pulling away to look me in the eyes.

"It's Kieran," I whispered. "He's... He's been hexed. And it's left him in really bad shape."

Marcel's brows raised as his eyes widened. He shook his head slowly, taking me by the hand and gesturing for people to back up as he led me to the front doors. He shut the set of gates behind us to give us some privacy in the large hall between the courtyard and the wooden doors to outside on the busy street.

"The witches have been busy," he sighed. "I'm so sorry, Gem. Is there anything I can do? How can I help?"

"I don't know," I cried, hugging him again. "We asked Klaus for help. He tried to compel Kieran not to give into the darkness of the hex. But it didn't work. He snapped at Cami and upset her. He's like a completely different person, after just a few hours."

"Bastiana. She did this. Klaus was throwing a tantrum on the street looking for her."

I nodded, "Yeah. And I haven't seen or heard from him since. Kieran is locked up in the church, refusing to leave."

"Klaus is missing. I'm pretty sure the witches got him," Marcel told me.

I slowly pulled back, shocked. "What? Why? Oh, God," I said. "I'm sorry for barging in like this. But I hadn't heard from you all day and I was worried. And when you said you were here I just got in my car and came. I... I needed to see you."

"Hey, why don't we get out of here. Let me take you home? We can talk and go over everything there over some coffee—maybe tea."

"Maybe food. I haven't eaten since breakfast."

"We were in church by 9. It's been almost 14 hours at least, Gemma. Come on. Let's get you some food."

***

Marcel and I sat on the floor in front of my coffee table covered in a multitude of food to share. We had a personal size cheese pizza, curly fries, regular fries, a melting ice cream split, a tray of orange chicken, a dozen beignets, and a catfish po'boy. That's what happens when you don't know what you want and you pass a dozen food places.

"Mmmm," Marcel moaned. "Try this." I turned to him as he fed me a bite of the catfish sub. My eyes widened in delight. "Right?"

"What is that sauce?" I gasped, reaching over to grab the other half of the sandwich to devour.

Marcel chuckled, reaching for the ice cream next and taking a few bites. "You know catfish is probably one of my favorite foods," he told me. "I tried fishing once in my life... Didn't work out."

I laughed softly, patting his thigh, "Oh, baby. I liked fishing when I was younger. My dad and... Uncle Kieran used to take us."

Just like that reality caught up to us. Marcel had did so well at distracting me. I almost forgot my pain. But there it was like a slap to the face. The hard pill to swallow—My uncle was sick. By a magical illness. It was almost so ridiculous I could laugh. But only tears ever managed to escape me.

"Hey," Marcel whispered. "Talk to me, tell me everything. What happened today?"

I gulped, putting my sandwich down. "Um, it seems after church that witch—Bastiana hexed Kieran. Just walked right up to him and spat about him joining my brother Sean in hell."