Taken

It was your typical old Monday morning, and I was at home -- alone.

          Now, I know what you're thinking. It's Monday - shouldn't this girl, whoever she is, be at school?

          Actually, no, because it just so happened to be Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

          I woke up and went into the kitchen to eat some breakfast, but before I did, I checked myself out in the large mirror on my dresser-desk in my room.

          Blech. I looked hideous.

          Which is understandable since I had just woken up.

          I tucked my hair behind my ear but then pulled it back immediately. I hated my ears; they stuck out of my naturally boring and straight hair all the time. No matter what I did to keep them out of sight, nothing ever worked.

          I walked into the kitchen and pulled out a box that was supposed to have cereal in it.

          Lucky me, there was some crumbs of the chocolate 'Special K' cereal left at the bottom of the mostly-empty box. However, there was no more regular milk, so I was forced to use soy milk.

          And let me just forewarn you to never try combining those two -- cereal and soy milk -- because my breakfast tasted absolutely disgusting.

          After I pushed through the sincerely nasty taste and finished eating my crappy breakfast, I washed off my dishes and set them neatly in the dishwasher. As I was just about to leave the kitchen, my dog, Carter, (a chow chow/german shepherd mix) started to whine for some attention. His puppy dog eyes stared up at me sadly, and I'll be darned since they always seemed to draw me in. My manipulative and spoiled dog was always looking for the least bit of a belly rub, and she would whine until she fell asleep for someone to pet him.

          "I love you, you good, lazy boy," I kissed the top of his head, his tongue slightly licking my chin as I got up off of the floor after a good five minutes of sitting and rubbing his tummy. I washed the grimy bits of dander he left on my hands using the new lemon-scented soap my mother bought from the dollar store and wiped them off, gently pushing my purity ring on my finger once my hands and fingers were dry.

          I started to walk back to my room to get changed so that I could clean the house up a bit, and then maybe get a quick workout in afterward. I had the house all to myself today, since both my sisters, mom, and dad were out doing their own things.

          I pulled my gold iPhone 5S out of my shorts pocket and went to check my Instagram, my all-time favorite social media app. Me being one of the most popular girls at my school, I had about 2,000 followers, all waiting for me to post a new selfie. You may think of me as conceited, but hey, at least it got me somewhere.

          All of a sudden, I heard a simple knock on the front door. I wasn't expecting company, though, and my younger sister wasn't home. She usually had a bunch of her friends coming over all the time, asking for her to come outside and play. Expecting it to be one of them, I quickly went to change, because all I was wearing were short, black shorts and a white, somewhat transparent, spaghetti-strapped camisole. I threw on an over-sized "#meninist" sweatshirt that came down to mid-thigh, tore off my shorts to replace them with my black leggings, and ran for the door. "I'm coming!" I called out, not wanting to keep whoever was outside waiting for very long.

          Except, something was very different this time. I felt a cold breeze and darted my body towards the front door to discover that it was wide open! Only expecting it to be some impatient friend of my sister's, I stormed into the kitchen, ready to yell at whoever could not wait five freaking seconds for me to change.