002. Friends

【ENIGMA】

***

"Wow! So, you really are blind!"

The next morning at the prestigious hero school, UA, came with an immense amount of attention from Y/n's classmates. 

By the end of the first day, it'd gotten out that the girl who hardly did any better than Midoriya on the quirk assessment was blind, and no one in the class had figured out her quirk yet.

When it was put like that, Y/n sounded pretty mysterious, kind of badass on paper. It was, however, a little more than nerve-wracking. Turns out, being the center of attention meant everyone's eyes were on Y/n, even if her eyes weren't on them— Y/n had proven that claim through her very own blindness. She could tell everyone who surrounded her was watching her intently, and she couldn't see anything, but the weight of the attention and the eyes was nothing short of intense.

"Yes."

Y/n smiled wide in response to their words (apparently taking it upon themselves to confirm her lack of sight, which—Y/n wasn't even going to get started on that one), eyes rather blank as she stared straight ahead.

"I have absolutely no concept of what any of you guys look like at all! Seriously what do people look like? Are they beautiful? Am I beautiful? Though, I guess I don't exactly know what that is, either." Y/n perked up curiously, "do I get to claim a sob story?"

"But really, how do you do it?" The voice belonged to the girl named Uraraka, her elbows resting on Y/n's desk. 

She continued, "I mean, I don't see any helpers or a walking stick or anything, and you seem to get by really well! Does it have to do with your quirk or something? I wouldn't have guessed you couldn't see if I didn't hear it from everyone else!"

"Oh." Y/n pursed her lips. "My quirk... are you asking if my quirk aids in helping me around, since I'm blind?" Uraraka hummed in confirmation. "Yeah, you know, I wish I could tell you, I really do, and I really would. But I'm not too sure about that one myself."

"Oh, really?" Kaminari said from where his desk was, beside her. "Then, tell us what your quirk is, and we can write down all the ways—"

"No, no, that's not what..." Y/n shook her head with a gentle laugh. "I mean, I'm really not sure. I can't be sure— I have no idea what my quirk is."

It was quiet, aside from the chatter of surrounding classmates amongst themselves—but for the ones surrounding her—nobody said anything and Y/n felt her brows draw, fingers tapping steadily against the desk, waiting for someone to say something; it never came. Was it really that shocking?

Y/n scratched the side of her head.

"You know, I feel like you guys should be, I don't know, talking right now? You know, because it's really embarrassing leaving me here to fill the silence with my own voice."

"Wait, so you're actually a pathetic loser who doesn't know what your quirk is?" Bakugou laughed from his own seat. "Doesn't that technically make you quirkless?" And that was the start of it— of course, he'd be the start of it.

"K—kacchan—!"

"Would it make her quirkless?"

"No, because she does have a quirk, so,"

"But would it count if—?"

"Guys," Y/n sighed, snapping her fingers. It was like junior high all over again. Except, they were talking like she wasn't sitting at the center of their little circle. "I'm right here."