009. Mind Control

【ENIGMA】

***

For an entire two seconds after the blow of Midnight's whistle, Y/n was motionless.

She couldn't wince at the sharp pains, the pitchy whistling and hissing—a static—that filled her mind and the world seemed to disappear and take everything with it. She didn't know where she was, where she should go—or how she was supposed to know any of these things. The pads of her fingers were buzzing, arms fell limp—numb and her legs were like jelly.

Y/n painfully shook her head and breathed through her clenched teeth. 

Her body prickled in stabbing pains with a quick heat. Y/n racked with full body chills, all in half of another second. She gasped and breathed long and unsteady, lungs aching as she sucked in everything that'd been stolen. She felt waves as she stumbled and worked to get her senses intact.

They came from Shinsou.

They felt jagged, weighted and controlled—like he was somehow attempting to hold down her vibrations. Y/n didn't know how that was possible—how someone could take her vibrations and the energy she felt around her and somehow hold them to the point of nearly controlling what she felt—but Shinsou had accomplished it and it was more than just unsettling. She shivered again, teeth clattering as she shook her shoulders.

"What the hell," Y/n screwed her face and wiggled her shoulders to grab Shinsou's attention. "Hey can you—like, not? Mess with my head like that, dude?"

Shinsou froze, shifted and his fingers gripped her shoulders tighter. "I, uh. What? What are you talking about?"

"I don't know? You just did a thing—"

She stiffened again, jolted as quick tremors ran through her body, teeth clattered more intense than before. The same feeling of weight and suppression surrounded her. Her teeth ground against each other and she groaned as she twisted horribly to get rid of the rapid tightening around her waist, her arms, the stretching over her skin. Y/n shook her shoulders again, more fierce.

"Dude," she hissed. "Seriously, whatever you're trying to do: knock it off. It's messing with my head—stop it. Are you trying to use your Quirk on me or something? What's that even supposed to be?"

"Uh. I don't - what the hell?"

"Yeah, what the hell is right. You said you wanted me to help you and here you are, getting in the way of your own success. If my senses aren't intact, then I can't help you. That's all I got. So if you wanna have a shot at winning this thing: stop whatever you're doing."

"What?" Shinsou whispered. "Why isn't it working?"

Y/n set her jaw and spoke through her clenched teeth. "I don't know what you're trying to do, but I'm blind. And I keep trying to tell you that if you're going to use me, the best way to do that is to make sure all of my other senses are perfect. Which means: stop messing with my vibrations, dude. I can do what you need me to do as long as you back off,"

"Wait—you're blind? Are you kidding me?" Shinsou hissed. "What the—? What am I supposed to do with that?"

Y/n rolled her eyes. Once. Twice. A third time, because she was stuck with someone who was genuinely dumber than her—as if she hadn't just stated multiple times that he could use her as long as he stopped trying to sabotage and ruin her vibrations. 

Y/n could hear the commotion around them and Present Mic's commentary—the battle had already begun, seconds and minutes were being wasted while they stood by the sidelines doing absolutely nothing and if they wanted any shot at getting to the next event, then they had to move.