004. USJ

【ENIGMA】

***

Aizawa Shouta was kind of a shitty teacher if he was being completely honest with himself. He wouldn't lie to himself or anyone else about it, and he had his reasons for being shitty.

He wouldn't go out of his way to inspire his students— not entirely because he neither had the energy, nor the spirit, but because they could inspire themselves and rile each other up if they were really fit to be heroes. If they wanted it enough. Wouldn't praise them for doing the bare minimum like a lot of other teachers did, wouldn't pick favorites, wouldn't necessarily encourage them, because they should be able to do that on their own, too. If their spirit could be easily broken and they didn't have the ability to lift themselves back up, they didn't belong in the hero course.

The name 'Midoriya' popped up with that thought.

That kid. He was problematic, but he had potential.

That was his job. Setting his eye on potential, loosely guiding them in the right direction, teaching them the basics, and then setting them free. And all of them had a pretty good outline of what they should be doing, where they should be headed, and their goals. All except one.

L/n— the student he nearly cut on the first day right with Midoriya. Aizawa truly had no idea what she was about. He'd checked her file for maybe a bit of insight and was disappointed to see she was registered as not having a quirk, despite the fact she claimed she did. And what was even more curious, was the fact that it appeared that way. Everything she did seemed to be not quite average. Good enough to get by, really, and that, on top of the fact that she was blind; legally and since birth— was just complicated.

No, Aizawa did not have favorites, but he had students who needed more guidance than others. And it was impossible to guide someone without any material. He couldn't teach her anything, couldn't tell her how to improve, couldn't be sure she was making progress in her abilities without establishing them in the first place. His other students compared to her were so much easier. Once Midoriya stopped breaking himself, which Aizawa really hoped was soon— he could confirm they were on the right path.

Getting Bakugou to stop attacking Midoriya, whether physically or mentally (he could see it in the kid's eyes) would be a great step forward.

He could acknowledge at least their weaknesses, their strengths, their weaknesses that could become strengths.

But there were absolutely no stats on L/n.

No mental notes he could make... At least not while he observed her at the surface. Which brought him to carefully studying his students' first Hero Basic Training class with All Might.

All Might and his shitty-amateur-teacher-with-no-teaching-skills-whatsoever class.

Midoriya and Bakugou's match went pretty much as the report read and he'd have to work on that—he'd have to have them work on that. Teamwork was crucial in the line of heroism and their relationship with the way it was, just simply wouldn't cut it—the class was pretty much unacceptable and All Might should have stepped in, but there was something more to that situation. 

Aizawa knew the number one hero certainly played favorites with Midoriya.

For whatever reason that was, though it was irritating, it was also none of Aizawa's concern.

Todoroki's match was a bit lackluster and Aizawa made a mental note to shift Todoroki away from solely relying on his quirk when in battle. That could and most likely would be his downfall... He didn't seem very big on working with others either. Not completely opposed to the idea, it seemed, but certainly preferred not to. Which of course, was a problem.