Part IX- New York, New York

Natasha POV:
The fact we got to Sage when we did was simply a miracle. I don't believe in those, but with the condition she was in when we got to her. Just a while longer and she would've died, no she should've died. We got to her but by the time we actually treated her, no one really knows how she was able to survive.

Ryker had called me. He explained about everything that happened and how he got to her phone before they could get it. He was just as shocked when he heard about her not really being family. The family had tried to keep him away from meetings and interrogations but something he caught onto was climbing into vents, just like Clint had shown me. Even though they weren't blood, Ryker still felt a strong connection to her. So here we are, because he called me and asked, no, he demanded my help. He's got the fire Sage has.

She's in medbay at the moment and I haven't left her side since. It's the third day she's been unconscious and Ryker hasn't left her side either. He talks to her, tells her jokes and stories, sometimes he'll even sing to her their favorite song before falling asleep. The love he has for her is stronger than blood.

Fury and Tony wanted to send her to the raft immediately when I explained the whole situation and how she was supposed to be the 'new and improved' Winter Soldier. I fought for her and explained how she should get a chance to really redeem herself before she's judged. I just hope Sage will agree to it.

I couldn't help but blame myself for the condition she was in. Her body was filled with bruises, cuts, and even burns. The sight enraged me. I wanted to bring in those who were responsible for this but we didn't have enough time. When I saw Sage, the only important thing was making sure she would be okay.

I picked up my hair in a ponytail and made my way to medbay. I peeked in to see Sage still unconscious and Ryker sleeping by her side. I nudged him so he could wake up, "Hey buddy, how about you go eat breakfast and I'll stay with her for a bit."

He squinted his eyes opened, rubbed his eyes, and shook his head while yawning, "I have to be here in case she wakes up."

I placed my hand on his shoulder, "I'll stay here with her and if anything happens I'll send someone to get u right away okay."

He looked up at me and nodded his head. He got up and while walking out the door he tiredly said, "Thank you Nat."

The image of Sage hooked up to different machines with the life in her barely even there tore my heart into pieces. I sat in the chair next to her and took her hand in mine. It was a perfect fit, I know it's cheesy to say, but it's like her hand was made for mine.

"Sage, love, please come back to me. Please," I said unable to contain my emotions anymore. I laid my head on the bed while firmly grasping her hand, tears flowing down my cheeks.

"Just give me a sign you're still there, I can't lose you. You make me feel things I have always kept locked away Sage please," I said in between sobs.

A few seconds went by and a small squeeze on my hand holding Sage's caused me to whip my head up, "Sage? Sage can you hear me?"

Another squeeze on my hand caused me to smile and laugh but it was soon disturbed when the heart monitor started to beat rapidly, "Sage, no you stay with me!"

I quickly ran out and called for Bruce and Dr. Cho, "Somethings happening please help her!"

They rushed in quickly and Ryker came in a few moments after. "What happened?" He exclaimed trying to rush over to Sage but I held him back.

I clung onto him while Bruce and Dr. Cho performed CPR on her, "She squeezed my hand twice and then her heart started to fail. I don't know what happened, I thought she was getting better."

The sound of the heart monitor flatlining caused Ryker and I to completely stop our shouting and pleas to save her. The sound was blinding, it broke me inside in the worst ways possible. I couldn't move, it was like my body was put in a trance. No matter how hard I tried to run to her and hold her in my arms, I was stuck.

She's slipping away and I can't help but just watch it unfold right in front of my eyes.

Very sorry for not updating in so long! Hope you enjoy. If you have any requests for what you would like to see let me know! And let me know what y'all think of the story!💕