Gone and Forgotten - Page III

The two students had finally finished cleaning the garden. Now exhausted, they sat on the bench near the wooden tool shack.

Tiny specks of dust, fell from the roof of the wooden building, dancing in the dim afternoon light. The sun sure took its time disappearing below the horizon.

"Tanak--", Y/n stopped herself short, prior to correcting herself.

"--I mean... Mabuchi."
"It's Mabuchi"

They both said his name in sync. An uncomfortable silence fell between them.

Kou scoffed mockingly, "At least you learn fast."

He gave her a patronizing smirk. One that she so desperately wanted to kick off his face.

'Seriously, who is this guy? He's changed too much, it's kinda creepy...', she vacantly stared at him. Eyebrows furrowed slightly.

"At any rate, since we're alone. How about a reunion hug?--", Kou turned his body to fully face the (h/c).

Dropping his head to the side a bit as he extended his hand foward, his smirk returned, "Come here."

She jolted, all of the hair on her body stood up. A chill ran down her spine.

Y/n gawked at him, flabbergasted. Before swiftly standing up and backing away from the boy.

"That's creepy as hell don't say 'come here' like that! You sound like one of those 40 year old construction workers!", Y/n yelled at him while copying his tone, pointing a finger at Kou accusingly.

The ravenette chuckled, "Is that so? Ha. You've really changed a lot haven't you?"

'Excuse me? If anyone's changed, it's you.'

"Yeah, no. I don't think I have.", she remarked impassively.

"Hmm... You think? You used to be so quiet. You couldn't even hold up a conversation. Now you can even make those crazy looks on your face."

She held back a cringe after hearing his faultless statements.
"Yeah, sure, sure. Maybe I have changed. But definitely not as much as you."

"Really?", Kou hummed as he pushed himself up from the bench. He was like a little kid, testing out his mother's patience.

"Of course. So much so I almost didn't recognize you.", Y/n crossed her arm on her chest. Prior to turning around to take her leave.

"Oh? That's not possible isn't it? After all--", the ravenette's smile turned soft, and his gaze was inquiring. He thought about his next words carefully.

Y/n continued to saunter away. Not paying any mind to him.

"-- didn't you used to like me?"

Her steps stopped dead. She immediately turned around to look him straight in the eye.
Her eyes widened, and her lower lips fell down slightly. Contrasting her, Kou's smile turned back into a lopsided smirk.

Her expression only served to confirm whatever was going through his mind.

A strong gust of wind sweeped through the school grounds, their hair brushed against their skin, blown by the cool breeze. Rustling of leaves from high above the tress reached both of their ears. The lazy chirping of birds add to the tranquility of the seemingly timeless space they were in.

The sound of the wind and leaves were the only thing keeping the silent from falling down on the two.

If it weren't for her beating heart, she could easily fell asleep right then and there. Amidst the beautiful flower petals.