Chapter 15 - The Mission

Amid the darkness, among the abyss. Within a stone cage, contained the figures of three. A pair of the three lay knelt upon the ground, their heads lowered and the eyes pointed towards the cold-hearted stone. The young man on the left bore spiky, blood-red hair and wore the standard grey, clean ANBU chest plate, with a katana being holstered on its back, along with the grey, stainless arm and shin guards. His face was concealed behind a blank mask, with his icy blue eyes peering through its eye holes. Underneath his armour, he wore a simple, sleeveless fishnet shirt with his bicep being exposed to the elements, with it bare and scared.

To the red head's right, was a young woman with long black hair tied in a ponytail around a year older than the male, sporting the same attire, with her chest plate and guards also stainless, her mask also blank, having her blood-red eyes illuminating through it, with it having three tomoe circling the iris. On the back of her chest plate, a tanto lay sheathed, along with a kunai holster on her thigh.

Standing above them, tall with an emotionless and uncaring glare, was an old man who observed the two knelt before him with his lone brown eye. His short spiky brown hair, flatten around the sides due to the bandages enveloping his right eye. He wore a white shirt, which was concealed behind a dark grey robe that embraced his right, bandaged arm, and went down to his feet, with his left arm holding a wooden cane.

Suddenly, the elder tapped his cane against the ground, as another ANBU member appeared behind him, with the male having short spiky brown hair and soulless brown eyes. He held in both of his hand's scrolls, to which the pair that were knelt caught out of the corner of their eye. Though as they noticed the scrolls in the man's hand the gaze of the elder grew authoritative and imposing.

"Contained within these two scrolls are the details of your first assignment.." The old man spoke coldly, with his icy cold eyes glaring at the pair in front of him. "You will travel to the border between the Iwakagure and Kumokagure to destroy an Iwa outpost, posing as Kumo Jonins" He continued his glare becoming more and more oppressive by the second. Though as he finished he tapped his cane once more as he disappeared before them, in addition to the ANBU behind leaving the scrolls, leaving them both in line with where the two had just knelt.

Though a short-lived sigh escaped their mouths, they quickly retrieved the scrolls as they too disappeared in a body flicker. Leaving a single leaf, where the pair had temporarily stood. All the while, unknown to them, they were watched by a pair of inquisitive ocean blue eyes, though the sound of the tapping cane made the person's eyes quickly retreat into the darkness of the base.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now within a training ground, the Uchiha and Uzumaki opened their scrolls to discover the contents of their mission. The details of the assignment weren't as methodical as one would expect from a mission of this importance. Because if either of them were exposed or even caught then the blame would be firmly placed on Konoha and they would not be able to escape the ensuing war between the two countries, as only one village harboured both the Sharingan and the Kyuubi both of which one would assume would be on a tight leash.

But the rewards for the Leaf, more specifically Danzo, would be well worth the risk if this mission succeeded as intended. If Iwa were to believe that Kumo had essentially declared war, through the killing of Stone shinobi and the destruction of one of their outposts, the resulting war would leave both villages at the mercy of Konoha. With the might of the great clans of Konoha and of course Naruto's tenant, the Leaf were sure to achieve one of many of Danzo's dreams.

Konoha's supremacy over the elemental nations

In the back of their minds though, they could only think of the potential damages a conflict like this would cause if they were successful. Both villages are notorious for being stubborn and unwavering in their pursuit of victory and them now against each other would result in a blood bath. Good for Konoha, bad for nearly everyone else and they wouldn't dream of living with the guilt of indirectly causing the deaths of thousands. Though they knew that they had no choice, they would make this as painless for those in front of them as possible, for now, they were too far gone into the foundation's program to be even able to look back.