Prologue

four years ago
Aria White

Love.

People would die for that shit.

But even love isn't always enough.

I'm starting to learn the difference between loving someone and wanting to be loved.

Loving someone means they would do anything for that person you love, you would go above and beyond to make that person happy and make them feel safe.

Wanting to be loved is just wanting all of those things.

Me?

I am starting to realize the harsh truth.

I had the first doubt when Dante hit me and pushed me to the ground making me vulnerable. He has been doing that a lot more lately and instead of still loving him I am getting scared.

But at the same time, I feel like most of the time it's my fault and he is doing it all to make our relationship better.

Is that normal for couples?

"Aria?" I look up from my plate and see Layna raising her eyebrow at me.

"Yea?" I asked before looking around at the table. Everyone is sitting at the table looking at me. "Sorry I wasn't paying attention. What were you saying?"

"I asked if you and Dante were doing anything for your second year?"

Oh, that's right.

Our Two-Year Anniversary.

It's coming up and I still haven't figured out what to buy him.

"I think we might just relax and hang out. I don't know if he has anything planned or not." I see Layna look across the table at my mom and my mom gives her a sad look. "Do you know where he is or if he is on his way here?" I asked.

"He messaged me that he is going to be here soon. I sent him on a warehouse check, in Pasadena."

For the rest of dinner, we all ate quietly and finished our food. By the time everyone was done I get a text from Dante saying he was on his way, and he wanted me to get ready. He said to dress in something nice.

After dinner, I go straight to my room and head to my closet.

As I look through my clothes, I think about what would make Dante happy, what would make him proud to be with me.

I decide to change into a white dress that ends above my knees. I pair it with white heels and some jewelry. Dante likes how the color white looks on me, so I chose this option. I keep my hair down and by the time I'm ready I get a text from Dante saying he is downstairs.

I grab my bag and jacket before going downstairs. I wave my parents goodbye before walking out the front door.

I see Dante's black Mercedes Benz parked in front of my house. The windows are rolled down so that I could see him.

I walk towards his car and then open the door.

"Hey, baby," Dante said once I sat in the passenger seat.

"Hi," I said as I closed the door. "What took so long?" I asked him as I put my seat belt on.

"I had some stuff I had to do before picking you up." Dante leans towards me and kisses me on the cheek. "You look, great baby. Thank you for getting pretty for me."

I put on a fake smile.

For him.

"Of course. Where are we going?" I asked him before he put the car in drive.

"We have a restaurant reservation."

"Where?" I asked.

"You'll see. Stop asking."

Dante drove out of the estate and then pulled his car onto the street.

"How was the warehouse check?" I asked him while the music on the radio played softly.

Dante furrowed his eyebrows and looked at me. "How do you know I went to the warehouse?"

"Dad told me."

"I don't like how he is involving you so much into this Aria. I need you to stay out of this." Dante says as I see his hand clench around the steering wheel.

I clench my hands together and try not to get pissed at what he was saying.

Dante believes that women shouldn't be involved in the Underground business. He thinks that women should be more like trophy wives to sit and obey and we got into a lot of arguments about this subject because I think women can choose whatever they want to do.

I like the business my family does, it's interesting and I feel like if I were to join my father and brother in the business then I would be happy with where I am.

"Dante-"

"Aria don't argue with me about this. Know your place. You aren't meant to be an assassin. I'm not going to tell you again."

"How can you say that when my dad said something totally different? You're my boyfriend Dante, not my dad."

Dante stops the car in the middle of the street, and he turns in his seat before wrapping his fingers around my neck and giving a warning squeeze making me feel my blood go cold.

I was about to open my mouth to tell him to let me go but he cuts me off.

"What the fuck did I tell you about arguing with me Aria? You obey me. You listen to only me. I'm not your fucking dad and I sure as hell can tell you what to do. You will obey and listen to me always cause if you don't then you know what happens." Dante warned giving me a dark look.

I blink away the tears and try to force his hands off of me. "Please Dante-"

"Tell me you understand." He demanded and then squeezed hard making me want to cough.

"I understand. Please. Let me go. I'll do anything." I begged.

Dante then let me go and push me away from him making my head hit the window.

Tears start to roll down my eyes as I put my hand against my head. I feel liquid when I touch my head, so I bring my hand down and see blood on my fingertips.

"Fucking great. Just what I needed. Stop pissing me off and this won't happen anymore Aria." Dante said before he started driving again.

I wipe the fallen tear from my face with my hand that doesn't have blood on it.

And now I know what the difference is between wanting to be loved and being in love.