The first week

Set after chapter 2 of "Starting Over". Wanda deals with guilt and grief. Natasha deals with her own internal battle.

Wanda didn't like Tony, she knew that from the beginning. He was the man that tore her family apart. His words ring around in her head, they seem to be a lot more concerned about a girl who can use magic. Would they come for her? Would hydra know she was here? Would the avengers want to send her back? No, of course, not Natasha had promised her she was here to stay. Steve, Captain America, is quick to defend her. She feels the heat rising to her cheeks mid-bite and she sits down her fork next to her half eaten breakfast.
"Can I go to my room?" She asks effectively interrupting the tense air.
"Of course, yeah, I'll check in with you later." Natasha says turning away from the men to give the teenager her undivided attention.
Wanda's quick to let no emotion show as she made her way to the elevator. She lets her tears fall as soon as she steps through the metal doors, Friday automatically takes her to their floor. Wanda tries to calm the thoughts in her head, anxiously ringing out her hands, red wisps fly around like sparks. She holds her head in her hands as she paces around the room, "too loud" mumbled from her lips. Tears roll down her cheeks and she harshly wipes them away with her palms. She can still hear the thoughts from down stairs, Tony's looking for someone to blame if he has it his way it will be her. Steve, done with Tony's selfishness, is trying to support her. Natasha's mind seems to focus on her directly, how they are going to provide for a teenager, how they are going to keep her safe, why she left the room in such a hurry. Wanda's look around her room wanting to get as far away from the loudness as possible. She eyes the closet.
The teen opens the door hesitantly, it's bare except for the pair of clean sheets on the shelf. She sits down in the corner, using her magic to turn off the lights and shut the door, fingers playing with the tattered picture still in her pocket. Finally it's quiet, she falls asleep.

Natasha wanted to follow the girl immediately, but her mind stopped her. It tells her to give the girl space, don't get attached. She already gave in too much when she let her stay with her last night. She accepts a movie night with Steve instead, pushing down the guilt that builds in her stomach for leaving the girl alone.
"What's going on in your head, Tash?" Steve asks looking down at her. She loosens the frown from her brow and turns her attention back to him, having to look up from where her head rest against his shoulder.
"Nothing." She replies giving him a tight lipped smile
"You sure?" He asks not wanting to pry, even though he can tell something is bothering her.
"Yeah, I'm okay." Natasha adds pushing his head back to face the screen "Watch the movie" she teases
"I'm worried about you." He admits. Natasha's mouth opens then closes as she ponders what to say.
"I'm going to go check on the kid." She says removing herself from his side.
"Yeah, okay." He says moving his arm, wondering if he's pushed too far.
"I'll uh... see you later." She says as she reaches the elevator
"Bye, Nat." He says from the couch.

When Natasha reaches Wanda's door she pauses hesitantly, no sound comes from the door. She knocks once and waits for a response.
"Wanda? I'm coming in okay?" No response
She opens the door to find the room empty, the teenager no where in sight. She panics slightly. Shit, we've already lost the kid. Natasha runs every scenario through her head of where the girl could possible have gone when she notices the closet door slightly ajar. She cautiously opens, it turning on the light. Wanda's previously sleeping form awakens at the brightness and apologies spill from her lips as the panic sits in that she might be in trouble.
"Hey, calm down, you're okay." Natasha reassures her. The girl is sitting in the corner tears streaming down her cheeks, clutching what appears to be a very tattered piece of paper.
"I'm sorry, I'm not supposed to be here. I'm sorry." The girl mumbles over and over through her tears. Wanda is clearly not paying attention to her. Natasha sits down in front of her, knee to knee.
"Wanda?" She asks eventually grabbing the teens attention and she seems to come back to reality. Wanda stares at her tears still pooling in her eyes
"Hey, kiddo." Natasha says reaching out a hand to place on the girls bony knee. "What's got you so upset?"
"What's going to happen to me?" The girl asks "I do not want to go back. I will be good I promise, please."
"Wands, I told you already that you are staying here, I meant it, every word." Natasha replies, the nickname rolls her lips with ease. The girls gaze shows a level of gratitude that Natasha doesn't think she's ever seen on another person. Her gaze falls back to her lap.
"Whatcha got there?" She asks. Wanda gingerly hands over the worn image. Natasha looks it over, a particular smiling child looking like the young girl sitting in front of her.
"This is you? And your brother." Wanda nods
"I'm sorry for coming in here, small spaces help.... when it gets too loud. I could hear all the thoughts downstairs." Wanda adds
"Kiddo, this is your room, you can do whatever you want with it." Natasha replies "although, it's not very comfy in here. We can fix that though."
"I've never had my own room before." Wanda says, Natasha noticed that the girl now seems slightly more relaxed.
"We can go buy some decorations and we can paint it if you want." Natasha adds
"Mr. Stark will not be mad?" Wanda asks
"It doesn't matter. This is your room, so whatever color you like, you just let me know alright." She replies. The spy reaches out almost hesitantly before wiping the remaining tears off the girls cheeks. "Would you like to go get some stuff tomorrow?" She asks "We need to get you some clothes and I'm sure you'd like something to do in your free time."
Wanda nods hesitantly.
"Okay, now how about some dinner... Are you hungry?" Natasha asks standing up. Wanda nods hesitantly again. She's not sure how many meals she was allowed to eat here. In hydra it had been nearly one a day, two if they performed well on their tests. She'd already eaten 2 within 24 hours of being here, still she follows the spy to the kitchen on their floor.