Tell Me a Story

Set in between chapters 7-8 in the book "Starting Over."

"And you promise you'll call me if she needs me..." Natasha says slinging her duffle bag over her shoulder, pausing to give a pointed look to the super soldier across from her. "she still has nightmares and I don't want her to suffer through them by herself. Maybe I should just tell Nick to find someone else..."
"Nat, calm down." Steve says reaching out to give her shoulder a comforting squeeze. "I promise. You've sat out on missions long enough. Wanda will be fine, she won't be alone. I'll crash in your room until you get back."
Natasha releases a sigh in relief "Thanks Steve, really. I...uh...should get going."
"Be safe." Steve adds leaning forwards to wrap his arms around her
"Don't have too much fun without me, Rogers." Natasha replies letting the hug linger for a moment longer. Ever since Wanda's birthday, the pair seems to be teetering even further into the blurred lines of friendship. She pulls away reluctantly. Wanda strolls into the room on cue, frowning at the sight of the duffle bag no matter how much Natasha had prepared her in the days prior. The spy opens her arms for the girl, who immediately enters them wrapping her arms around the older woman's torso.
"My girl..." Natasha says placing a kiss to the girls head "you be good for Steve, alright?"
"Do you really have to go?" Wanda asks voice quivering at the end of the sentence.
"It'll just be a few days, Malysh. Then I'll come right back home to you, I promise." Natasha replies "I love you."
"I love you too, Mama." Wanda sniffles taking a step back. She tries to be strong putting on a smile through her tears. Wanda feels a larger hand settle on her shoulder. Steve. Natasha makes eye contact with Steve over Wanda's head and he nods. Natasha steps forward placing a kiss to her daughters cheek before heading for the elevator.
"She'll be back soon, kiddo." Steve reassures Wanda. This doesn't stop the tears that have begun to fall down the girls cheeks. She turns burying her face into his shirt. He lets her cry her tears, wiping away the ones that remain on her cheeks when she finally pulls away from him. Wanda looked absolutely drained.
"Why don't you go lie down? I can wake you up before dinner, what would you like tonight?" He asks
"Pizza?" Wanda asks hopefully "Extra cheese?"
"Pizza with extra cheese it is then." Steve smiles "Go get some rest."

Wanda entered her room and immediately fell asleep on her mattress, her thoughts were full of nothing as she had reached the point of exhaustion. She awoke a few hours later to Friday's voice feeling her room.
"Ms. Maximoff? Captain Rogers has requested your presence in the kitchen."
Wanda sat up yawning, her hair messy from sleep. Glancing at the clock on her nightstand, she notes that she slept a few good hours. She makes her way to the kitchen.

"Hey, kiddo. Sleep good?" Steve asks as she enters. Sam is already seated at the table, slices of pizza piled on his plate.
"Okay." Wanda replies placing a slice of cheese pizza on her plate. Steve fixes his own and joins them at the table. Neither of the men are surprised by Wanda's rather solemn mood as she picks at her slice. She finishes it watching them eat in silence. Steve looks up seeing the teens glaze shift to the empty seat at the table.
"Why don't we watch a movie?" He suggests trying to think of anyway to get Wanda's mind off missing Natasha. Hell, he misses her himself. He misses her. Sam nods in agreement and Wanda nods reluctantly. "Wanda gets to pick." He adds
Eventually the end up on some movie neither Steve or Wanda had seen, the latter falling asleep on the super soldier halfway through the movie. When the credits roll, he is reluctant to move her. She seems to be sleeping soundly, something Steve knows does not come often and probably won't happen in the days that follow.
"Wanda, kiddo, wake up." He says gently shaking her awake.
"Hmm?" Wanda asks still half asleep.
"Come on, kid, let's get you to bed." Steve says shaking his head fondly.
"See you tomorrow for our run, Cap?" Sam asks as he leads the teen to the elevator.
"Yeah, sounds good." Steve nods as he tells Friday to head to Natasha and Wanda's floor.
Once Wanda is ready for bed, Steve knocks on the frame of her door before entering.