When The Stars Fell

It was a dark day. The man slowly slunk into his room- if you could call it one. With a high ceiling, and smooth metallic walls, with barely any furniture anywhere, it was more like the inside of a spaceship than a house. Then again, that's how he liked it. With trembling hands, he switched the recorder on and placed it on the table. Shakily, he began-

Shigran! That's the traditional salute of a Time Warrior. Incidentally what I am. That is, I'm a Time Warrior. Oh, blast it all, let me try again.

He cursed, and switched the recorder off, and deleted that recording. He switched it on again.

Hello! My name is Melsur, and I'm a Time Warrior. Nope, too formal, too boring. Try again!

"By the sun" he muttered angrily, and took three deep breaths to clear his mind. This was important! He again started-

Greetings. I am Melsur, a Time Warrior, and this is the story of my life, which has been pretty much completely messed up since I drew my first breath. Now, since I'm projecting this story to the past, I'm sure none of you will understand most of what I'm saying- humans then did have such tiny brains- but try to keep up, will you? I was born in the year 500 Time Travel Log (TTL), but to simplify things so that you can place it somewhere in your mind, I think it could be estimated to be 4.9 Million CE, towards the earlier centuries. Anyway, let's continue. 

I was born in the year 500 TTL, to the most amazing parents in the world. Amedeo Pascal, my father, was also a Time Warrior like me, and my mother, Dian Amadira, was the Stewardess of the Magna Galaxia. Since the time of my birth, I had but one ambition- to be a Time Warrior like my father. Now, I don't suppose you know what a Time Warrior is, so let me explain. A Time Warrior is the term used to refer to a man who travels through time, helping all those he can without disturbing the space-time continuum, and correcting aberrations as assigned to us by the Time Council. The Time Council is a vast body, comprising of the smartest and most accomplished individuals in the Magna Galaxia. There is a Board of 500 members that reports to a Royal Board of 100 members that reports to the Steward/Stewardess who reports to the Emperor. It would take a 100 years to get a position on the Board, and another 50 more to get one on the Royal Board. As for Emperor, well, you either have to be born a Ruler or make the shift to being one at the time of birth. Now, call me old-fashioned, call me sexist, but I think men should be the ones out there in the field, and the women calling the shots from the background. It's logical, isn't it? That's why men have a third hand, while women have a third eye, right where the pineal gland used to be located. Evolutionary glitch, or miracle of nature? I don't know, and frankly, I don't care. I was never paid to think.

Now, just to give you an idea of how our education system used to work, I'll show you a recording.

He then tapped on the recorder, and swiped a few times. The recorder then began playing the following video-

"Uploading begins now" he said. "The child readied himself, and the syllabus of the grade is slowly uploaded to his mind, chapter by chapter. By the way, the boy in the recording is me, age 6. Handsome, aren't I? No?  Oh well, never mind. Anyway, I digress. Once this information is uploaded, the child can go to either one of three places. The Rulers Center, where you're prepared for a lifetime of dirty politics and scheming. The Runners Center, where you're prepared for a life of making a huge amount of money and having a lot of luxury. And the Time Center, where they prepare you for a life of being a Time Warrior, fighting for your life, defending it from either crazy aliens, the hordes of Genghis Khan, or the Nuclear Army. I, of course, went to the Time Center. Why anyone would go anywhere else is beyond my understanding. "

He switches the video off and faces the recorder back at himself

So, that was our education system. Of course, none of these centers would have existed, if not for an emergency Time Warrior Mission back in 8000 CE. The time when we prevented a crazy calamity. The time when the Stars almost fell.

He suddenly heard a noise. He closed the recorder and walked out of the room hurriedly.