On The Verge Of Disaster, Pt.1

Three years had passed since our first mission, and by now, our squadron of four was one of the best-known Time-Warrior groups at the Time Center.

One day, after a particularly annoying mission involving some GREMLINS (it's best if I don't go into the details of that, they're a little too gory for some), I, Morfus and Blemat stalked into the Time Center bar, trailed by Xotik, who was now much bigger than he was 3 years ago- an adult Diavolokian. 

There was no distinct change in Blemat, because he never changed his biker suit. However, Morfus had shaved his mustache, and I had grown a beard that I was growing increasingly fond of. 

I saw a little guy sitting on my seat, and I grunted to express my displeasure. He instantly leaped up and scampered off, which caused me to smile a little. I took my seat, and said, "The usual, Garris."

Garris, the bartender, grinned and threw a bottle at me with blinding speed. I instantly caught it, uncapped it and took a huge swig.

"Ah, apple cider. You gotta love it."

"I agree, Melsur sir, it tastes amazing. I always keep one or two bottles of that handy for when you come around"

I lazily smiled at him, and then turned to Morfus, who had already emptied two bottles of Gurg. Gurg, by the way, was our version of alcohol. It didn't intoxicate you, it just transported you to a world of your fantasies in the mind. I saw him smile, and rolled my eyes. I winked at Xotik, who giggled, and took a black spray (used for camouflage) out of the pill-bag. Slowly and carefully, I completed my work on his face, and then walked a few steps back to admire my handiwork. 

That's when Garris happened to look at Morfus, and broke out into such raucous laughter that he shook Morfus out of his dream, and caused everyone to look at him. He instantly realised what happened, and removed the amazing  moustache I'd given him with my spray.

He grinned, and said, "What are we, three? Spray mustaches, I used to do that to my dad as a kid!"

The four of us chuckled, and Blemat transmitted, I think we're drawing a little too much attention to ourselves.

I thought, So what? Wait, give me one second-

I got up on the table and yelled, "HEY, EVERYBODY! MY FRIEND HERE THINKS WE'RE DRAWING TOO MUCH ATTENTION TO OURSELVES. DO YOU AGREE?"

The entire Time Center broke into peals of laughter, and I smiled at Blemat cockily.

"Let's go to our quarters now."

_____________________________________________

At our quarters, I lounged lazily in my chair, as I thought about the past three years. 3 years, 1095 days, and 15 missions. We had skyrocketed to fame because of a few good missions, where my impulses, and Morfus' level-headedness saved the day. The Time Center then began trusting us with progressively more dangerous missions, until every situation became a do-or-die one.

Why are you speculating over the past, my friend?

I was startled by the transmission.

Blemat! I told you not to read my mind!

I apologise, but you looked thoughtful, and I simply could not resist checking the reason for that.

Oh. Well, don't do it again.

I could sense him smirking, and rolled my eyes. 

Suddenly, Xotik barged into the room, quivering with excitement or fear. "I have news!" he squeaked.

"Continue"

"There are reports of a skirmish at the northern borders of the galaxy, with the Machite's!"

I leaped out of my seat and grabbed him by his shoulders. "What... did you just say?"

"The Machites! They're fighting us!" Xotik squeaked

I let him go, and sank into my seat, stunned. The Machites.... I curled my fists and slammed them into the table nearby, which caused it to snap in half.

"Whoa! Easy, man, easy. Why so angry?" yelled Morfus.

I glared at him, which effectively silenced him. The Machites were cunning, deceptive and treacherous creatures, who lived near the Magna Galaxia in relative peace, but occasionally sending little suicide squads to attack us, claiming they were "terrorist attacks". The fact that the Magna-Galaxian government hadn't already destroyed them enraged me to a degree I had not known until then. I got up once more, and got into my personal pod.

"Where are you going?" Morfus asked me.

"To my mother, for answers." I growled, and set off.

That was the very first time in my life I lost complete self-control, and oh, how I have regretted that....