𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 | Wedding

The week in the Court of Nightmares had passed by in quietness and darkness. I didn't truly dare to leave my room, scared of bumping into Rhysand's father and whilst I'm sure that his mother was nice, I missed my own home and brother.

Maiya had not been seen since the fateful first dinner, having returned to wherever the Hewn City was and not coming back. I wasn't completely sure about what had happened, I only knew that she had found and married her mate, and her father wasn't impressed by it. But apparently talking about Maiya's mate was forbidden, for even Rhysand didn't know who he was.

On the other hand, Rhysand had tried as much as possible to become friendly with me. He would bring me my meals, having worked out that I didn't feel comfortable around his family, and would leave books that he thought I would like from the library. Hopefully, he would stay this kind when we married. I would hate for this to change.

There was a knock on my door, two gentle taps and then a pause and another one. A small smile formed on my face as I opened it, smiling up at Rhysand. 

The half-Fae was dressed in his usual dark top and breeches, but a small smile formed on his face as he saw me.

"Carasai," He trailed off, before taking a deep breath. "My father wants the wedding to happen soon."

"Soon?" When was soon? Soon was vague. Rhysand scrunched his nose, huffed and then pulled a face of apology.

"Tonight." That was soon. "I know. I tried to put it off but he wants us married before I go back to the War Camps. He thinks that I'll end up like Maiya, and I don't think he wants to banish another child."

"Oh..." I licked my lips, tugging nervously at the sleeves of my dress. "I-What-?"

"My mother said she'd come and help you." Rhysand chewed on his lips, scratching at the back of his neck. "I know that this is far from ideal and I really tried to push it back longer so that we could get to know each other more. I know you are uncomfortable with the idea of an arranged marriage, and you have every right to be..."

"You need to teach me how to put walls up in my head." I muttered. "This is going to get annoying if you keep reading my thoughts."

"I'll teach you. Next week." Rhysand sent me a small smile, "and you'll like Velaris. It's really nice there and the house I own has a big garden and it's near the arts district of the town."

"Is there a library?"

"Yes, a big one." That made me smile. I'd missed the big library of the Day Court more than anything. Rhysand shot me another awkward smile before stepping back. "I'll see you tonight. Mother will be around shortly to help out."

He disappeared shortly afterwards, as I closed the door and sank to the floor. It was as this moment, I wished for my mother or even my brother to be by my side because I was drowning. I didn't know what I was doing and if things went wrong, then it was on me.