𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 | Libraries

Velaris was a fun place to explore, but without Rhysand by my side, directing me through the streets, I often found myself getting lost. Sometimes, I would only go out for a twenty minute walk yet I would get home five hours later.

It was mildly annoying, but I was learning little by little where each place lead to.

"My Lady..." There were calls as street vendors tried their best to draw people's attention to their stores, often full of glittering gems and beautiful jewellery. I let my fingers drift across the golden jewellery, humming to myself before picking up the ring and holding it out to the vendor. It looked almost as if a sun did, reminding me of my time in my own court, with golden spirals and amber gems embedded into it. 

It was truly beautiful.

"How much?" I asked, and the vendor admired it, before telling me a price. I placed the coins into her hand, before taking the ring and slipping it onto my finger. It was on my right hand, instead of my left, as I had a golden diamond ring, a gift from Rhysand to signify our marriage. Twirling it, I continued through the square, enjoying the sights and smells of it all.

As I turned the next corner, I was surprised to find a large set of stone doors carved into the mountainside. Near to it was the stairs to the House of Wind, and I took the time to meander my way over and test my navigational skills. 

It took me a while to reach the doors, I will admit, but I managed to find them all the same. They were beautiful, and I checked the sky to see whether or not I had time to investigate what lay inside of them.

The sun was barely at it's midday peak, and I took that time to slip inside of the large doors. Rhysand had not told me what they were.

Inside, I was surprised to find a library.

My eyes lit up at the sight, rushing over to the railing at the edge so I was able to see the layers and layers of shelving, filled to the brim with books of all kinds. A gasp left my lips, as I twisted around, looking at the large chandeliers and lighting that covered the corridors that were carved into the stone. 

You found the library.

My mind had been distracted, so much so that the barrier inside of my head had fallen down and it allowed for the wave of joy that I was feeling to hit Rhysand. It took me a moment or two to regain my words, even mentally, before I could reply to my husband.

You did not tell me?

I wished for you to find it on your own. Rhysand teased, and I could practically see his smirk in my mind. You would enjoy the feeling more that way.

A hint would have helped. I sighed, before tracing the bannisters as I walked down the stairs to the level below this one. Each book seemed to well taken care of, yet worn, as if the knowledge inside was free to everyone. There are so many books. I have not seen this many since I left the Day Court.

It is a rather magnificent collection.

I still cannot believe that you did not tell me. I huffed.

I knew that if I told you straight away, you would not explore the city. Every waking moment of yours would be spent in the library. Rhysand replied, his chuckles filling my head as I began to note the books that were there. 

Does my brother know of this? Or my father?

No.

So I am the first of my family to see it? Is there a healing section? I questioned mentally, wishing that there were signs so that I knew where to go. Imagine the healing techniques they have written here. It is a wonder to be able to see it.

If you find one of the priestesses', they can take you. Rhysand stated it as if it were the simplest things in the world. Or they are able to place books aside for you each day in a reading area.

I would like that. I nodded to myself, before pulling one of the books from the shelves and reading the title. It was on strategy so I placed it back immediately. I am able to study here?

If you were able to enter, then yes. Rhysand sounded distant. I am sorry, I have to go.

Then the presence in my head left, and I was forced to go back to searching for one of the elusive priestesses that Rhysand had mentioned, attempting to find the healing section of the large library so that I was able to study as effectively as possible.

***

The next few weeks was spent travelling back and forth between the library and Rhysand's home in Velaris, or supposedly now my home as well. The library was fast becoming my favourite place. Every time I arrived, I was directed to my normal reading spot where I was able to study the books they had on healing for near to hours on end. 

They were different from the ones back in the Day Court, focusing on the use of runes in healing and protection which was intriguing, especially to someone who did not use such things. 

I flipped the page, reading through the next bit of text as I made a note of what to ask the priestesses about later. I needed to find a book on the basics of rune work, to see whether or not this was going to be a viable option to use in healing all around the world. The technique that those in the Night Court, in particular the Hewn City, used could revolutionise how healing worked.

Carasai. Rhysand's voice echoed through my head as I paused in my work. Humming, I waited to see what he had said. I'm back in two days.

Why?

Don't sound so disappointed. Rhysand joked. We talked about this.

When? I questioned, still reading. We did not speak on this.

We did. Yesterday! Were you not paying attention?

No. I shrugged, turning the page.

Put the book down, Cara. I paused at the nickname, sitting bolt upright as I stared into space. You're paying attention now, right? I'm back tomorrow to collect you, because you are coming up to visit the war camps.

Why? I did not want to visit them in truth.

Because it is customary for the Illyrian's family to visit when we finish. I have finished my training, so now it is custom for you to come and visit.

What about your parents?

I can have one guest, and I've asked for you. Rhysand explained gently. I will be there tomorrow to get you. I have to go. I will see you tomorrow morning.

The bond went silent, as I struggled to think properly or form words. I was in a state of confusion.

Hiya,

So, it's been a while but here's Carasai and Rhysand bickering like a good couple. Anyway, I'm super hyped for her to go back up to the War Camps because we're gonna meet some more fun people and Cassian's gonna rock back up.

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx