𝐓𝐖𝐎

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎| Dinner in the Stars

{ Carasai }

I think that the only time that I had felt such fear as before I left for the Night Court to become Rhysand's betrothed was when the war began. I had been one of the healers during those years and I had never seen such death and heartbreak before. Sometimes, the thought still kept me up at night, and I couldn't imagine the fear that the soldiers must have felt on the front lines.

"For you," I turned at my father's words, watching as he placed an ornately carved dagger into my hand. "For protection, should you need it. The metal is infused with ash wood."

"Thank you," I muttered, everything suddenly becoming far more real that it had seemed last night. My hands trembled as I slid the dagger into one of the few bags that I had, before passing it to a waiting attendee. 

"You be good, Carasai," My father muttered, resting a hand on my cheek. "You can always come home if things get bad."

Both of us knew that the sentiment was false. In all sense, I now belonged to the Night Court as the betrothed of Rhysand. He owned me now and if I was to run away, he was well in his right to hunt me down and drag me back to the Court of Nightmares.

"Come on, little one," Helion appeared in the doorway, a grin on his face. "Let's get moving."

"Of course," I pressed a kiss to my father's cheek, before hurrying to Helion's side. I knew that if I stayed even a minute longer in the palace, then neither of them would be able to get me to leave.

Helion steered me through the palace, before winnowing us to the Court of Nightmares. Just like a few days earlier, the obsidian throne room was just as cold and dark. Helion and I stood out in our golden jewellery and white clothes, like stars in the night, except I feared that I would fizzle out soon after.

Rhysand and his older sister were there again, each looking just as cold and unforgiving as the first time we met. His father had disappeared somewhere, and I was more than happy without his unforgiving presence around to scare me further.

"I leave my sister in your hands, Rhysand," Helion grinned, though there was an edge to his tone that held a warning. "Take good care of her."

"Of course," Rhysand's voice was deeper than Helion's, power tainting it's edges like blood on a sword. 

"Maiya," Helion nodded at Rhysand's sister, who cocked an eyebrow. "Always good to see you in such a cheerful mood. My offer still stands. Sister."

Helion pressed a kiss to my head, before winnowing out of there as I was left with the two siblings, silence falling over us. Maiya, his sister, patted Rhysand's shoulder, before turning to sweep out of the room, heels clacking on the floor.