𝐎𝐍𝐄

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄 | Daughter of the Sun

{ Carasai }

It turns out that obsidian was reflective. Not that I would have ever known that if I was not, at this current moment, standing in the throne room of the Night Court, trying not to squeak in fear.

The entire room was made of the same reflective obsidian, meaning I saw the terror on my face from multiple directions, and the only light in the room came from the stars that glimmered all around us. Despite the harshness of the room and the land beyond it, there was a stark beauty to it that made me want to grin in awe. 

But, I resisted that temptation, huddling a little closer to my older brother as the both of us kept quiet and let our father continue to barter with the High Lord of the Night Court.

"I am telling you that we need to unify our lands. I did not come here to argue with you," I glanced over at my father, who's face was hard, as if it were made of the same marble that made our palace in the Day Court. 

I knew, deep in my heart, that he did not wish to place me into an arrange marriage with the heir to the Night Court throne, a half-Illyrian, half-Fae man a little older than I was. But, his guilt did not make my situation any better. In fact, it did little to help at all.

"I understand that, Caspian," The High Lord of the Night Court was much like his land; cold, sharp and had an air of darkness around him that seemed to seep into my very soul and try to snuff out the light within it. "and I see your point."

The man to the right of the High Lord tensed. I knew his name; Rhysand. He was to be my betrothed. I had no complaints about him, looks wise anyway. Rhysand was handsome; tall and strong, muscles rippling beneath his dark shirt as violet eyes seemed to pierce my soul. It wasn't his looks that were the problem, I was scared of how he would act when not around company.

I knew of the horror stories of arranged marriages. I could list a dozen or so failed marriages in under thirty seconds, and it was one of the reasons that Helion and I had been against marriage since we were younglings. But, when father came to me and begged me to do this, I could not say no. What kind of daughter would I be if I prioritized myself over my court? 

I took my eyes off of my intended, accidentally catching eyes with his sister instead. She was the older of the pair, and had this intense beauty and aura around her that drew you in. The woman raised a singular eyebrow, the scar on her forehead crinkling as she did, before shooting me a smile that froze every vein in my body.