Back to 1994.

Lana tried to keep Jeremy away from the family room, but she had no luck.

"What the hell is he doing here?" Jeremy exclaimed as he stepped into the room where Kai was sitting on a stool, working over the pool table on the ascendant.

Kai looked up at Jeremy, smiling brightly. "Hi." He said.

"Yeah, I probably should've told you that Kai's here." Lana muttered, she sat down on the pool table, waiting for Elena to explain to her little brother. And she did.

"People don't just change like that." Jeremy said after his sister's explanation.

"People usually don't merge with their siblings, either." Damon said after a sip of whatever alcoholic drink was in his glass.

"Uh, for the record, I would've been fine with any of Luke's qualities. You know, the hair, the whole gay thing. Maybe not the height...actually." Kai looked up from the ascendant.

"You seriously buy this?" Jeremy was getting on Lana's nerves.

"Well, he hasn't tried to kill any of us. Plus, he is helping you get your girlfriend back, or would you rather he just leaves? Without helping at all?" Lana said suddenly. Jeremy looked taken aback and Elena scoffed.

"What? Sometimes in order to help the people you care about, you take risks. Build a bridge and get over it." Lana felt particularly annoyed today, she wondered what it was.

Kai was smiling from ear to ear. "Well look at that, friends standing up for friends. Almost like old times."

"Look, I'm not saying that we have to like him." Elena tried. "But if there's a way for us to tell Bonnie how she could get out, then we-"

"We should trust the guy that changed personalities overnight?" Jeremy interrupted, daring Lana to say something. Lana was biting her lip, trying to keep from adding a few new enemies to her list.

She didn't get how people could be that childish; she knew that Kai probably did terrible things to these people, but did Jeremy really care so little about Bonnie that he'd risk her life based on his feelings getting hurt?

"Think of it like, Elena, in reverse." Kai said. It didn't look like he particularly cared whether Jeremy liked him or not, so Lana kept her mouth shut; which was harder than you'd have thought.

Kai turned around to pour himself a drink. "Well, you know, she was human, dating the good Salvatore. Then she became an undead blood vacuum that stopped caring about right and wrong, who started dating the bad one." Kai finished with a smirk.

"That's not how it happened." Elena insisted with her arms folded. Kai was next to her now, more than a head taller than her.

"Mmm I'm sure I missed a detail or two. But I'm just paraphrasing what Damon told me in the prison world." Kai smiled. Lana loved when he did that. No, stop it. She scolded herself for admiring Kai.

"Speaking of, there's a witch over there we'd like to save." Damon said and Kai smiled at Jeremy. "So why don't you get your Gemini Jumper cables and fix that thing."

"O-kay." Kai nodded.

"Are you getting somewhere, at least?" Lana asked Kai as he went back to the ascendant.

"Well, think of this like math. I remember how you used to love math. This is sorta' like that, except I hate math and I have no idea what I'm doing." Kai joked, but Lana could tell that he did know what he was doing. He wouldn't be looking through a magnifying glass if he hadn't.

"Come on, Kai, are you done yet?" Damon asked, motioning for Lana to stop distracting him.

Kai blinked confusedly a few times, but he just shrugged and went back to work. "Would you like to try this?" Kai said sarcastically.

***

"So I can't send us back physically." Kai said. The five of them were standing in a circle, Elena looking anxious. "But I can probably send a part of us back."

"Probably?" Elena asked, apprehensively.

"Do you remember the movie, Ghost?" Kai asked and Elena rolled her eyes. "I know you do, Lana, you died the year it came out. Well, Bonnie's gonna be Demi Moore. She's the alive one, obviously, and we'll all be, uh, a collective Patrick Swayze. The ghost." He seemed pleased with his explanation.

"Ugh, by the way, how much does that suck, about Patrick Swayze?" Kai's expression grew sad.

"I know, right? I cried for days after his death!" Lana exclaimed; she was a big fan of Patrick Swayze.

"Will she be able to see us, or not, Kai?" Elena demanded.

And then Kai did something so adorable, Lana had to restrain herself not to just grab his adorable face and kiss him.

"Well, I don't know. I've never done this before." Kai beamed elatedly, looking like an excited school boy. Kai took a deep breath. "So let's all just take a deep breath, close our eyes, and..." Kai started chanting.

Lana didn't close her eyes; she didn't see how that would help the spell to work better or not. She looked around as the wind picked up, even though they were inside.

Lana should've closed her eyes, because the next moment her vision blurred, turning hot white. She lost her footing and fell on her butt when they transported, her head pounding. It felt like a supernova exploded inside her head. Lana was blind. She was sure of it.

Kai opened his eyes, a pleased look on his face. His gaze shifted to Lana, who was sitting on the ground, hands over her eyes.

"I think I'm blind!" Lana mumbled, causing Damon to chuckle.

"Well, I did say close your eyes." Kai said as he held out a hand to help her up. Lana took it gratefully, but Kai's hand passed through hers and Lana fell back down. Kai chuckled as Lana stood up.

"What happened to the pool table?" Damon asked. In the living room, a beautiful dining table was occupying the space the pool table once stood.

A beautiful girl with caramel skin and short hair walked over to the dining table, sitting down.

"Bonnie?!" Jeremy exclaimed, running towards her. He called her name again, but Bonnie just sat there with an old video recorder in her hands.

"She can't hear us." Jeremy observed.

"Nice observation, Sherlock." Lana muttered under her breath, not able to contain herself. Kai grinned at her, obviously enjoying her when she was like that. Lana felt a little sick. Usually the other her would be taking over soon, when Lana acted like that.

"We can't touch anything, either." Damon exclaimed as his arm passed through yet another solid object. "Nice spell, Kai."

He shrugged as if he couldn't care less.