Chapter Six

Summer 1849

Jimmy glanced over the fire at Weston and shook his head, "Stop prying into other folks' business. No one owes you their life story; everyone's entitled to their own secrets." Seventeen-year-old Weston cocked his head and rolled his eyes at his mentor, James Cole, "Fine...fine, don't tell me about her then. I can take a hint."

Jimmy sighed and continued to polish his gun. Barlow had only asked about a letter he'd received. Jimmy just had no mind to tell him the details of that letter. He had no reason to tell him his little sister had wrote to tell him she was getting hitched. As far as Barlow knew, Jimmy was the only in the world aside from him.

He had intended to part ways with Babyface Barlow years ago. Yet two years had passed since they'd met and somehow, they always ended back up together again. Truth be told, Jimmy had come to care a great deal for the boy; he had even grown to think of him as a little brother. Though mind you, he never intended to tell Barlow that, but he kind of figured the kid already knew. Mostly they had parted ways; while Jimmy traveled from job to job, Weston Barlow rode alongside a gang of outlaws, robbing trains, stagecoaches, and banks. He'd developed quite a name for himself with his gun; no man could outdraw him yet...not even Jimmy now. Even though he was famous with a bounty was on his head, he was still the sweet kid he'd met in the woods that cold autumn day.

Jimmy glanced at him as he sat there whittling away at an old branch and grinned, "Penny for your thought's, Barlow?"

Weston grinned, "I was just thinking I might go down into the town tonight. I kind of have a craving for some penny candy."

His smile morphed into a frown, "Cody and the gang going to be there?"

Weston shrugged, "I doubt it. Cody said he and Kaleb are going over to Fort Kearny in the morning. They've heard about some government shipment coming in and want to scope it out."

The Fort had only been established that year and its outpost was located along the Oregon Trail. This made it a great target for Cody's plans. They would just ride along with the wagon train until they were ready, then rob the Fort and escape. Leaving the soldiers to search the wagons.

Jimmy shook his head, "You know he's just using you right? You've got to be the fastest gun I've ever known, and that's why he keeps you around."

Weston tossed his whittling to the side and exhaled a long breath, "Well, what would you have me do? Be a hired killer?"

Jimmy sighed, "I don't kill anyone unless I have to, and you know that...but my way of life is a little bit safer than the one you've been living. I've never been on a wanted poster."

Weston crossed his hands over his abdomen and intertwined his fingers, "Yeah, but I haven't killed anyone. I've shot some fellas but never to kill them. Wounding them in the leg when they're the ones shooting at me and then taking enough only for a meal isn't that terrible, Jimmy."

He nodded, "Sure, not now. But what happens when you get greedy, or you do kill someone. What then? It's bound to happen sooner or later; your kind of luck can't last forever, Barlow."

"Well, you're a whole barrel of laughs, aren't you?" Weston groused at his friend.

Jimmy frowned, "I'm just trying to lookout for you, kid. I don't want to have to pay for your funeral."

Weston chuckled, "If my destiny is like you think, I'm sure the government will pay for it."

"That's not the point!" he shook his head, "Ah, I don't know why I even bother."

With a grin, Weston raised himself to his feet and neared his horse, Santana. Swinging one leg over the saddle, he mounted his steed and asked, "You want to come with me? I'll buy you a drink."