Chapter Nine

Present Day – Winter 1867

Weston closed the Bible Lincoln had given him all those years ago and tucked it back into his saddlebag. He'd made a habit of reading it every day just as Lincoln had asked him to do. He didn't always understand everything he read, but he read it just the same. Somehow, after Lincoln's untimely death, the Bible had grown to mean more to Weston than it had before...he was honored he'd once shared an intimate conversation about the Lord with him. He hadn't shared the events of that night with anyone, not even after Lincoln had become the President. He felt that somehow the events of that night should remain a secret. A memory, perhaps.

Dr. York tossed the flour sack into the carriage they had transferred the money to after they decided she would "find" the money on the road.

Turning to Weston she asked, "So, how do you want to do this? Ride in side by side or you come in a little bit after me?"

Weston mounted Dimples and brushed her mane, "I'll ride alongside you until we get near the town, then I'll draw back and let you go in alone."

With a nod, she entered her buckboard and gave her horse a friendly tap with the reins to get it moving. The snow on the ground was still heavy, but it was passable. It crunched beneath the weight of the horse's feet and the carriage wheels. What should have only been a thirty-minute ride took an hour due to the snow.

Once the town was in sight, Weston tipped his hat at the doctor and pulled back on the reins of his mare. He would allow her a few minutes time to get into town before him. He stayed at the edge of the woods and watched as her little buggy rattled its way down the uneven path into the town. He stayed where he was until she was long out of view. Then he waited. He wanted to be sure it didn't look as though he was following her. After a few more minutes passed he nudged Dimples forward with the heel of his boot. He wasn't sure exactly what his plan was, but he rode in as though he knew where he was going. He looked casually around and saw Rachel talking with the Deputy Sheriff; he assumed the Sheriff had left him in charge as he and the posse searched for his gang.

He stopped his horse at the mercantile and cleared his throat. Well, here goes nothing. Dismounting he tied up the reins and entered the building. The shop clerk greeted him, "Good morning, sir! Looking for something particular today?"

Weston nodded, "Yes, I need a few changes of clothes. I'm working for Jack Willer, and he said to charge it to his account."

The clerk nodded, "Of course. I believe I have everything you'll need right over here."

He led him to the clothing section of the store. He took out a few pairs of shirts and pants, as well as a pair of extra work gloves, "I'm sure this will get you started. Would you like me to wrap these for you?"

Weston nodded, "Yes, thank you. I'll be taking them on the saddle."

The storekeeper nodded and made sure to fold the items where they could fit into a saddlebag. Smiling as he slid the items to him, the clerk asked, "Is there anything else I can get for you?"

Weston shook his head, "No, but could you tell me where I might find Dr. York's office?"

He added with a smile, "She's a friend of mine."

The clerk smiled, "She's a nice lady."

Pointing out toward the street he said, "Down to your right and up the stairs across the street. She has a shingle hanging; you can't miss it."

With a nod, Weston thanked him and took the packages to his saddlebag. Mounting Dimples, he headed in the direction the clerk had indicated and found her office without a problem. He still didn't have a plan, but he needed to tell her his next move. He looked down the street toward the Sheriff's office and didn't see her carriage.