Chapter Thirty-One

Present Day:

Easter Sunday, April 21st,1867

Jack encouraged, "It's Easter, son. Come with me to service. It's been three days since anyone's been here. Surely if something was going to happen, it would have happened by now."

Weston reluctantly agreed. If something was going to happen, it might as well happen in town.

Rain poured down and the streets began to shift into mud. The vibrate dresses of the ladies were not as bright with the clouds darkening the sun. Rachel smiled as he and Jack got out of the buggy, "I'm sorry I haven't returned Dimples to you yet."

Weston waved it off, "I'll get her back eventually. I'm sure she's enjoying the company of another lady." As Jack passed them to speak to another church member, Weston leaned in and whispered, "You're very beautiful, Doc."

She dipped her head, "Thank you. You look quite dashing yourself. New suit?"

He nodded, "Thanks, I had to replace Pa's so...I got myself one too." He took a breath and with a grin he winked at her as he added, "I figured it could come in handy later."

"Oh?" she questioned, wondering what exactly he was referring to. The Reverend took to the podium and cleared his throat, signaling everyone to take their seats. Weston extended his arm to her, and they entered the pew with Jack. Standing altogether, the congregation joined in as Rev. Eli led them in the hymn "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing".

As they sang the last line, "O here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it, seal it for Thy courts above..." Weston felt he had made the right decision to follow Christ with all his heart. There was an overwhelming peace that flooded his soul and a joy that raptured his heart as the Reverend spoke about the love God has for us and the redemption his blood supplies.

"Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you'd die for. Our Lord, Jesus, gave His life for you and I, my friends. He always wanted us; He chose us to be His family. He is alive forevermore and will one day return to draw us into His bosom and so we shall ever more be with the Lord. Amen."

And the congregation said in unison, "Amen."

The thunder boomed above and raddled the building. Weston glanced upward and wondered if the steeple would be struck again.

A sarcastic clap was heard from behind them, "Well, well, ain't this sweet."

Everyone, including the Sheriff, turned; everyone that is, except Barlow. He didn't have to; he knew who it was. Barlow just shook his head and drew in a breath.

Why now, Andy?

Andy took a step forward, "Ladies and gentlemen, do you know who you have seated among you today?" He chuckled and neared Barlow, placing a firm hand on his shoulder, "Why it's the infamous Babyface Barlow! An outlaw, friends."

The thunder rolled as he laughed and the Reverend said, "We want no trouble here, sir. Please, go outside and wait."

Andy chuckled, "Sure, sure, Padre! I'll go." He gripped a young girl and jerked her up, "But she's going with me!" He drew his gun and backed up toward the door, "Come on out, Barlow if you have the guts. Otherwise, this little miss and I will get real good and acquainted."

Her mother pleaded, "Please, please, don't!"

Weston stood and turned to him, "Don't take the girl, Andy. It's me you want."

The group gasped as they realized that the Jesse they had come to know and respect, was truly a feared outlaw wanted Dead or Alive just as the man had said. Weston felt their scrutiny, but he didn't flinch, he just eyed the man starring at him coldly until he released the girl. He had his gun aimed at Weston now, who raised his hands slightly, "You've got me beat now, what's the plan?"