Comfort // Amelia Shepherd.

Reader is 25...

It was another normal day for the interns of Seattle Grace hospital. Early morning rounds, Cristina trying to get an early warning about any interesting surgeries, Derek and Meredith sneaking off to the on-call rooms and George being his normal awkward self.

All the interns were gathered in the locker rooms, changing before rounds. Mer and Cristina were talking in hushed tones about the newest rumours going round- Addison Montgomery-Shepherd had been caught sleeping with a patient after hours. It seemed to be the only topic in discussion until all of Bailey's interns were paged.

You looked down at the little machine before making eye-contact with Mer. Unlike her, your mother was not one of the most-renowned surgeons of all time. You grew up in the foster system. Started working at 15 to afford med school. She looked ridiculously calm, like she'd been doing this her whole life. You, however, were still getting used to all the chaos of a hospital, especially on days like this.

"You'll be fine," she took your hand and all of you ran down to the ER entrance. Dr. Bailey was standing there waiting for you all as 3 ambulances pulled into the designated spots.

"Karev, Stevens, take number one. Grey, Yang, number two. O'Malley, Y/L/N, take number 3. Let's move people." Bailey yelled as the ambulance doors flew open one at a time. You quickly tied your hair up as you followed George over to the ambulance, where the paramedics were lowering the gurney onto the floor.

"What happened?" you asked as the paramedic listed all the meds the person had been given on the way over.

"Multiple cars crashed on the freeway. 6 in total. The rest were taken to another hospital," he informed as you and George made your way through the double doors and into the main building.

"Who do we have?" George questioned as the two of you transported him from the gurney to one of the beds nearest the door. "he's loosing too much blood. Someone page Burke. Or one of the Shepherds. He wont last much longer unless we get some blood,"

"15 year old Casey Williams. His mother was driving the car. Pronounced dead at the scene," the paramedic concluded before walking back to the ambulances to see if he could be of any more assistance. Before anything else could be done, Dr. Preston Burke came running over, Dr. Amelia Shepherd at his heels.

"Burke. Great. I need a blood transfusion but both of us need to stay here otherwise he'll die. You think you can help me out? He's loosing too much blood and O'Malley's keeping him breathing," you looked down and saw your hands covered in the kid's blood. You froze, your hands putting pressure on the wound. Despite your best efforts, the blood kept squirting out and nothing could stop it.

The EKG sped up rapidly and Casey started seizing. You kept pressure on the wound while Amelia came running over and rolled him onto his side. O'Malley kept squeezing the bag and getting oxygen through to his lungs. Your eyes met Amelia's and over the few weeks you'd been a part of the program, the two of you had become quite close. She could tell when you were nervous, sometimes before you could yourself.

"Y/N... calm down. You're ok. Just keep putting pressure on it for me. You're doing great," she smiled at you and you tried your best to return it but just couldn't. The boy eventually stopped seizing and was rolled back onto his back. He was still loosing too much blood and oxygen and he flatlined. Amelia started doing CPR while you and George kept doing what you were doing.

"Were losing him. Someone help," she called jut moments before Casey flatlined completely. He was dead. "Y/N, you can stop now. It's ok," you didn't hear her, or move at all. "Y/N... step away from the boy. He's gone. There's nothing we can do now,"