Dead// part 2

Reader is 14-

TW- mentions of r@pe, drug addiction, suicide, miscarriage, human tr@fficking etc if I missed any lmk

"I love you," was the last thing you heard from Arizona before you fell into a deep sleep. It was probably the best sleep you'd had in years. No early-morning wake up calls, no set time to wake up. You were safe, and warm, and loved, for the first time in 11 years.

Your eyes fluttered open in the late hours of the morning and the familiar scent of Arizona immediately hit you. Her arms were still wrapped around you, welcoming you into her warm embrace. You looked up at her, your eyes meeting hers as she broke out into a smile.

"hey... how'd you sleep?" she sounded like she'd just woken up, and by the fact that she hadn't even opened her eyes yet proved your point.

"that was the best sleep I've had in like 11 years. Thank you," you smiled to yourself as she pulled you closer to her, her warmth radiating around you both. The peace and quiet didn't last long before there was a knock at the door. "Come in..." Arizona groaned just seconds before the door opened.

"Hey.. good news!" Callie exclaimed as she set her small bag on the chair in the corner. She was in her scrubs and had clearly been working for a while, she looked exhausted "Y/n you can get out of here today, no more disgusting hospital food. How does that sound?"

"that sounds great. However, one problem. I don't exactly have anywhere to go..." you looked down awkwardly, playing with your fingers.

"Of course you do. You can come stay with us if you want. That way, no foster systems or orphanages," you smiled. widely at this, feeling tears well up in your eyes. You weren't sad, at all. Instead you were the happiest you'd been in your life. "aww- she's crying,"

Arizona looked down at you just in time to see the first few tears fall. She hugged you tight, playing with your hair gently.

"Don't cry honey... shh,"

"thank you, both of you, for everything. I doubt I'd still be here if it wasn't for you," you wiped your eyes quickly before sitting up properly. You looked back to see Arizona smiling widely at you.

"Would you like that?" she asked, pulling your hair back out of your face.

"yeah.. of course I would," the three of you laughed before Callie got paged. Her face twisted into a look of annoyance at the sudden interruption. "What's going on Callie?" you asked as she headed towards the door.

"crashed school bus full of broken kids. Bailey paged 911 to everyone," she ran out the door.

"I work for peds why was I not paged?" Arizona slipped out of bed and looked out the door "This is bad, very bad. I'm gonna have to go but I promise I'll be back as soon as I can," she ran out the door without another word, just before the hospital erupted with screams of worried parents and many other things.

~~~

About 20 minutes had gone by and nothing had changed. People were still yelling, more and more kids were being brought in and the foyer was practically full. There was barely enough space for the doctors to walk.

It was made clear that the hospital had been short-staffed for a few days and this was the last thing anyone needed. saying it was chaotic was an understatement. You quickly got changed before making your way out into the hall. The first person you saw was April, she was walking with Dr. Bailey and they were discussing the extensiveness of a child's wounds. There was evidently loads of glass stuck in his abdomen and his left femur was completely broken.

The two of you made eye contact and she smiled at you. April was amazing. No matter what was happening, who was dying, she always had a smile and a hug waiting for you.