insomnia// Addison Shepherd

Reader is 25

You struggled with insomnia, always have. When you started at Seattle Grace last year, the ridiculous hour they had you working kept you from sleep even more, which didn't help. When you did sleep however, it wasn't for long, seeing as you always offered to be on-call or do someone else's surgery. The thing is, you hated sleeping. The process of trying to get to sleep, only to be kept awake all night for no apparent reason, was exhausting.

So when you were busy doing surgery, or CT scans, or anything medicine related, it took your mind off everything and you seemed completely fine. No-one suspected anything, until someone did.

You had offered to scrub in on a surgery for DR. Bailey. She had to deal with some family problems and needed a replacement. You hadn't slept in nearly 3 days. You were exhausted and with every passing moment, it became more and more clear. You were sat in radiology looking over brain scans and you kept dozing off. After a few minutes of that, you fell completely asleep and your head hit the table.

You hadn't been asleep long when Addison came in, looking for the CT results you were meant to be looking over. She saw you laying there, your mouth slightly open because of the angle, and gravity and all that, and her heart melted.

She stood at the door for a few minutes, waiting to see if you would wake up. When you didn't wake up and DR. Webber was coming looking for the results, she had to wake up.

"Hey honey... Can you wake up for me? I need the CT results," she lightly shook your shoulder for a couple seconds before your eyes fluttered open. The two of you made eye contact, you giving a small smile before sitting up. "You tired?" Addison joked, watching your eyes slip shut for spilt second.

"yeah, Stupidly long hours. Loads of surgeries," you yawned mid-sentence and it took everything in Addison not to audibly aww at you. Since you were the youngest in the 'group' everyone always treated you like the baby outside of work. But when you were working, you were the next Bailey. Fear respect.... more fear.

"You wanna take the rest of the day of and sleep? you look exhausted," she could see how you kept dozing off while she was talking and everything started becoming clear. The reason you've been working so much, doing everyone's surgeries, putting in extra hours in the ER. You've been avoiding sleep.

"No I'm ok. You wanted those CT results," you started looking for them under the piles of other CT results sitting on the desk "Here you go.." you handed them to her and she thanked you, sent you a sympathetic smile and was on her way.

She was worried about you for the rest of the day. Whether she was doing surgery, doing rounds, consults, you were on her mind.

~~~ that night...

You had just gotten out of another successful surgery. You were in the locker room getting changed when Addison walked in. You weren't even phased at this point, she did it so often. At least you were wearing clothes this time.

"Addison- what do you need?"

"How many surgeries have you done today? Burke said you've been in the OR all day,"

"Um 3 maybe 4. cant remember. Did you need something or was that it DR. Shepherd?" you continued changing, removing your scrubs and putting one of her hoodies you stole. She smiled at this before walking over and wrapping her arms around you from behind.

"You need to sleep love. You're working too hard," she tried to reason with you, but you just kept protesting, saying you were fine, that you weren't tired. "Y/N listen to me. I know you're tired. I know you are. Let's go home and you can sleep,"

"I cant Addison. I cant ok? I just cant," you raised your voice slightly, causing her to pull away and stare at you "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled- I'm exhausted."