Chapter 2: A simple knock from the path of Death

I stayed at the Ruins with Toriel for three long weeks, the first week I had to wear her purple robes since the clothing she had were mostly for children so she had to make me new ones.

The goat monster was right, it is pretty small and secluded in the Ruins, the only company I had was Toriel while most of the monsters that inhabited were usually chased away by the intimidating glare Toriel gave them.

I let out a small yawn and tried to read the same paragraph from my book an hour. Toriel was sitting on her comfortable armchair reading once again 100 facts about snails. She raised her hands above her head and gave a small stretch as she yawned, she put her glasses down before closing her book and put them aside.

"(y/n) would you like to help me cook?" she asked as she stood up from her seat, fixing her blue dress.

I was never a good cook, just when I was about to decline Toriel gave me the sweetest smile I've ever seen as she waited for my answer.

"Oh um... Sure." I mentally slapped myself when I realized that I answered her without thinking.

"Wonderful!" she beamed as she patted my shoulder motioning me to follow her to the kitchen. She pulled out a cooking book from her counter and began flipping through the pages until she paused one.

"Oh, why don't we try this dish!" I looked closely at the page she was pointing at.

Snail pie?

I scrunch my nose in disgust at such dish causing Toriel to laugh at my expression.

"Oh don't give that look, it's not that bad. The snails here taste very differently from the ones of the surface." She reassured, "Alright, all we need are some flour, salt, black pepper, bell peppers, onions and more importantly, snails!"

I took all the ingredients from the cupboard but I was unable to find the flour and the snails.

"Em Toriel, I can't find the flour and the snails, where do you keep them?"

"That is strange, I always keep the flour right next to the sugar." She mumbled, she made her way to open the fridge and let out a faint gasp. "Oh goodness, I forgot to buy more snails along with the flour! Um, (y/n) is it okay for you to stay here while I go out for groceries? I promise I won't take long."

Her question made me stiffen, just the thought of being alone made me think of various scenarios of what would happen to me. What if a monster suddenly comes in?

Toriel must've noticed my nervousness.

"Oh, don't worry about the monsters in the Ruins, (y/n), they wouldn't dare to step one foot in here."

"Oh if you say so."

She giggles before pulling me into a warm hug causing me to blush at the touch.

"Be good, alright." She said and off she went leaving me all flustered. I couldn't help but let out a goofy smile, its been a while since I felt that kind of sensation towards someone.

I let out a happy sigh as I giddily went back to the kitchen and began to mince the vegetables and prepare the dough for her return. When all was done, I returned to the living room and sat down on the green armchair, there was nothing else to do.

I looked at my sketchbook that Toriel gave me, it was laying across the room, the colorful cover of the book was now scratched from the corners and lost its bright colors. Lazily, I grabbed the sketchbook and began to sketch.

I may not be the greatest artist but at least I'm enjoying myself.

Suddenly, a loud knock was heard interrupting me from creating a masterpiece.