A Chilly Morning (Part 1)

It was a rainy yet chilly day; the weather is just getting worse. Last year it was not like that, every year the town would always be encircled by a fog with ease but this year it was different. I tried my best to stay warm on my bed as I quickly grabbed my phone just to check the time; it was 5:49 in the morning, only 11 more minutes until my alarm clock turns on. Releasing a small yawn, I slowly closed my eyes while my body had finally encountered heat on my sleeping bag when suddenly my door was immediately open.

I jumped a little when I saw my mom entering the room with my uniform in her hand, she was about to put it away in my closet until she noticed me looking at her. She smiled as she put away the clean uniform and laid right next beside me.

"Morning, how did you slept?" she asked

"Ugh, it's like if I just closed my eyes and as soon as I opened them it's now morning." She giggled at my comment. "Mom, do I really have to go to school? It's raining really awful outside..." my mom let out a sigh as she made herself comfortable beside me.

"I wish you could stay at home and have some sleep but you know that the Minister of Education is the one that decides if school opens or not. Just put on your uniform and if they announce that school is closing due to the weather then you may stay, if not then you're ready to go to school." I gave a fake smile; I prayed to the Lord that they would announce on the radio that there would be no classes.

As I quickly put on my uniform, the smell of pancakes was able to find its way to my bedroom and it finally reach to its destination towards my nostrils, immediately made me gagged. I instantly put my hand on my mouth while I lay the other hand on my belly trying to ease my stomach to prevent me from vomiting.

(Time skip)

We have classes, the radio had confirmed it. I sadly looked at my pancakes, they were decorated neatly with pieces of mangoes that were nicely sliced and bathed with maple syrup as a topping. I tried my best not to cringe at the dish knowing that it would break my mother's heart. I grabbed my mug and took a small sip until I saw the clock; I nearly choke when it read 6:56 AM! Oh no, I'll miss my bus!

"Mom, I gotta go. I'm going to miss the bus!" as my mom reach to the kitchen the first thing she laid her eyes on was my breakfast.

"What? So, you're leaving home with an empty stomach!" I really wanted to roll my eyes when my mom laid her hands on her hips.

"Don't look at me in that way! I'm your mother not your sister for you to roll your eyes on me! Now sit down and eat your damn breakfast!" she demanded.

"But ma, I'm going to miss the bus. I don't want to be late."

"But whose fault is it to get up from bed this late?"

"...Me"

I walked back to the kitchen and slowly chewed on my pancakes while my mother was angrily mumbling under her breath.

"Every morning I wake up early to make your lunch and damn breakfast and this is what I get! I will no longer serve your breakfast from now on, as I noticed that you don't want to eat..." She grumbled through her teeth while violently throwing away the poor dishes on its place.

"But mom, I always eat my breakfast, I don't usually leave home with an empty stomach."

"No, you're starting to eat less every single day! Yesterday, you left all your rice on your lunch bag and you didn't even touch it." I frown a little because what my mom was saying is true, I am starting to eat less and less, I feel somewhat disgusted whenever I see my food and sometimes, I force myself to eat it.

A soft knock was heard from the front door stopping my mom from her daily routine, she shouted 'coming' and dried her soggy wrinkled hands with her apron. "Must be him." She mumbled with a smile on her face.

Then suddenly, I felt a hand rest on my shoulder gently shaking me, eager for my attention that was accompanied with a low, gentle voice.

"(y/n)... Wake up."