2 - S.O.S.

The sun warmed his skin. Lazily, Kris had closed his eyes. With this temperature, the light breeze toying with his hair and the fact that there were no classes today, he could enjoy life here. Something cold touched his stomach. Blindly, he touched for the can of coke, rolling it up and down his heated skin, enjoying its coldness. 

"What a fucking toddler," Nish spatted next to him. "Retarded idiot."

Kris sat up, opening the can. For a moment he squeezed his eyes against the fierce reflection of the sun on the lake; then, he gave Nish a questioning look. His friend nodded to the side. 

A boy ran through the grass with a large self-made kite in the form of a turtle, in the same bright green as his swim shorts. Kris believed to hear his laughter even from this distance and the corner of his mouth curled up. It was the same kid who stood in front of their door and changed into a piggy three weeks ago. 

His skin was suntanned and his dark curls bounced around his head while he looked excitedly at the sky. 

With a hint of a smirk, he turned towards his friend. "Jealous of his artistic talents? You can't even make a paper airplane."

Nish huffed, taking a sip from his coke. 

Kris' eyes wandered off to the boy again. There was something intriguing about him; how he was playing with his kite all alone, not caring about what other people thought of him. He expressed a kind of innocence most people lost already a few days after arriving at this place. And how long was the kid here? At least almost a year...

Suddenly, the boy looked to the side. 

For a moment he stared at him—then, he stumbled over his feet and fell. He let go of the kite, which was taken by the wind. With a clumsy attempt, the boy tried to grab it, losing his balance and tumbling into the water this time. 

Next to him, Nish started to laugh. 

Kris couldn't help but chuckle about his clumsiness, although he thought it was cute. The boy climbed back on the shore, his face red like a tomato. After a brief look at them, he changed into a piggy again and ran away. 

Kris' smirk faded—for some reason, he didn't like the fact that the boy fled in panic for the second time now. Was it because of him? He knew he had quite the reputation, but it wasn't clumsy boys like him who had a reason to be afraid of him. His glance wandered to the sky, but the kite was out of reach. 

He took another sip. Somehow, he couldn't shake off the image of the kite flying boy with his sun-kissed skin and giddy smile. 

☆☆☆

The umpteenth letter disappeared in the drawer of his desk. By now, there was quite a pile. Fox wished he could find the right words and although he could write whole books, there wasn't a single letter he really dared to deliver.

But he just wanted to do something. 

Something else than panicking and running away, that is. Every time he found himself face-to-face with Kris, having the perfect opportunity to say something, his brain turned into mud, he clammed up and lost control over his gift. 

Over the past weeks, it happened at least five times. 

Although there was a little bit of progress yesterday when he could have sworn that the boy had smiled at him. Instead of panicking, he'd run into a door, butting his head so hard he couldn't say with certainty if Kris had really smiled at him. 

And if he did smile... it was perhaps meant for someone else. 

He just couldn't get the guy out of his head.