5 - Welcome to the Gay Club

Two weeks later

In theory, no alcohol was served at parties organized by the school, but various students had their own way of laying their hands on some booze. And since his best friend was the most effective smuggler around, Nish was all but sober towards midnight. 

Nish didn't mind. 

At least he could still walk straight and he didn't feel sick. 

Everything was just a bit... nicer. 

He was less annoyed by the hard sounds, the warmth, the Rhino girl that tried to hit on him and the electric jolts dancing on his skin whenever he accidentally touched his best friend. 

He also responded a bit slower. He understood jokes when all other people were already talking about something else, his shoulder was wet with booze because of all the times he'd bumped into someone and he hadn't realized the girl whose name he failed to remember was flirting with him until her lips were on his. 

He'd pushed her away and wiped his mouth. 

Although he did wonder how it would feel to kiss someone. Around him there were more couples kissing, so apparently it was enjoyable. 

"You still holdin' up?" Kris wrapped an arm around his shoulder. "You look like you're sweltering, man."

Was he? Now Kris stood so close to him, he indeed had the feeling that he was sweating. "I guess?"

"I'll get you a glass of water and then we're gonna cool down."

Nish nodded meekly. That was sweet. Kris was always sweet. At least to him. Something odd waved through his stomach at that realization. 

Sooner than expected, Kris returned with a glass of water. Nish finished it in one drink and followed Kris outside. In front of the school it was crowded; they weren't the only ones who liked some fresh air. Apparently, Kris wasn't in the mood to talk to other people, for he turned the corner of the building and kept walking until they were alone. 

Nish showed him a lethargic smile. He always liked being around Kris.

"So... you and Melody, huh?" Kris asked, grinning. He leaned against the wall and shoved his hands in his pockets. "You like her? She couldn't keep her hands off you tonight."

Melody? That had to be the Rhino girl.

"I think she wanted to kiss me." He looked at his friend. "Did you ever kiss?"

To his surprise, Kris shook his head. 

"You didn't?" he asked, his eyes wide. "I thought you did, well, all the stuff."

Kris chuckled briefly. "With whom?"

He had no idea. "With... girls? Like Melody?"

"I don't like girls."

Oh. Nish rubbed his neck. Was it odd that he'd never known that? And why did it feel like his heart was racing all of a sudden? "You ever been in love?"

"Once, about a year and a half ago."

Nish had seen lovelorn people. Mostly girls. Who were giggling and whispering all day long. He couldn't imagine Kris would do that. "But he didn't feel the same about you?"

Kris stared into the distance, his jaws tense. "It didn't end well."

Nish bit his lip. He wanted to say something to cheer up his friend, but he didn't find the words. 

Kris returned his gaze to him and his face relaxed. "What about you? You're into guys or girls, or both?"

He wasn't sure. Sometimes, he thought he liked Kris a little too much to call him a friend. But he was also his only friend, so he couldn't really compare.