8 - Stardust

Fox was used to running into walls or walking into doors but this time he really didn't see anything extraordinary. And yet, he'd walked into something solid. Confused, he moved his hand forward and his fingertips grazed something. A... body?

A moment later, that body materialized.

Kris' best friend!

"Hi!" Fox said with an enthusiast smile, although the nervousness was coiling in his stomach. In the past weeks, he'd sent Kris a little gift three times; chocolates, a poem, and a little bear holding a heart, but Kris had responded to none of these things.

Had he sent his best friend with a message? Nervously, he bit his lip, looking expectantly at the boy.

"Kris doesn't give a damn about you." The boy glared at him. "But the message doesn't seem to land so before you make a fool of yourself again, I'll tell you this: the way you're stalking him makes you fucking pathetic."

Crestfallen, Fox looked up to the boy.

Did Kris really not like him?

Fox knew very well other people thought he was overdoing things but... he'd hoped that Kris would secretly like it.

"Oh, okay," Fox said with slumped shoulders. "You uh, you know him well. What—what does he like?"

"Nothing he can't do with me."

A bit awkwardly, Fox raked a hand through his curls. "Maybe uh... maybe the three of us can hang out some time?" he asked, refusing to let go of the hope.

The boy huffed and stepped past him. He bashed his shoulder against Fox's, with such a force that Fox almost lost his balance.

Rubbing his shoulder, Fox watched the Buffalo leave. That wasn't very nice... Had he done something wrong? Was Kris complaining about him? Somehow, he'd expected Kris to tell him in person when he didn't like the presents.

Biting his lip, Fox turned around and walked to his campus. He wouldn't give up, but maybe he should try a different approach. Maybe it was time to do a little more than leaving surprises behind... he needed to come up with something that Kris would like.

☆☆☆

Two days later, Fox slipped into the Buffalo campus. It was dinner time, so there was nobody around. Nevertheless, he held his breath as he went up the stairs to the bedrooms of the boys. He had no idea where Kris slept, but he thought he would figure it out soon enough. He went into the first room and opened the closet door. A quick inspection told him the clothes in it weren't Kris's. The same happened in the second room, so he ended up in the last room where there was only one closet with clothes. It surprised him; he thought that Nish and Kris were sharing a room. The room wasn't very organized, which filled Fox with relief; he was a bit of a pack rat himself too. He put down the roses on the desk and glanced once more at the card attached to it.

Will you meet me at the forest tonight, at 1 AM?

It was a simple message; normally he would have come up with a long story but Nish had made him a little insecure. He however did draw a small fox so Kris would know who the sender was.

Quickly he left the room, his heart thumping heavily in his chest. At first, he thought it was because he was afraid to get caught; but when his heart beat didn't slow down in the hours that followed, he realized there was another reason.

Would Kris show up?

If not, it might be time to cut his losses.

Otherwise, he would really turn into a stalker and that had never been his intention.