9 - Ray of Sunshine

Kris was so much friendlier and sweeter than he had thought! Fox didn't understand what Safira had been so worried about. He wasn't being an asshole at all, he was really nice and sweet and cool. His hand was a lot bigger than Fox's. Instead of pulling away, he'd laced their fingers and Fox felt so happy he was about to sing and dance. He peered to the side, to the glitter in his hair and on his beanie. Warmth filled his belly as he thought back to how Kris had warned him about the crystal grains, how he had gently wiped his hands, leaving behind even finer glitter dust.

He was perfect, absolutely perfect.

And he was holding his hand. Fox still couldn't believe it.

Kris turned his head to the side as well. Fox could swear he was sprouting wings and rising off the ground when their eyes met—and then he slammed his right shoulder into a tree.

"Ouch!" The shock and embarrassment were more significant than the pain.

Kris chuckled softly. "Am I that dazzling?"

Fox felt his cheeks glow. "Yes," he said softly.

Kris' thumb stroked along his.

Suddenly Fox wanted to hug him, but he didn't dare. Breathless, he looked at the older boy, who was now standing very close to him. Kris' gaze wandered from his eyes to his lips.

Would the boy kiss him again?

His legs already felt weak at that prospect. With every second that passed, he got warmer. Should he do something? Say something?

"You-you're sweet," Fox stammered. Shyly, he bit his lip.

Kris raised his hand and raked his fingers through his curls. Gently, his lips touched his temple. "Don't tell anyone," the boy whispered, his voice hoarser than it had been before. 

Fox nodded astonished as he looked up into those light eyes, enjoying the fingers slipping through his hair. No one had ever stroked his hair like that, but the way Kris did it felt almost familiar.

Eventually, Kris lowered his hand, shoving it into his pocket. Something about his posture changed and he seemed to avoid eye contact. Immediately, Fox felt uncertain. Had he done something wrong? He considered just asking, but Kris asked a question first. "What did you want to show me?"

He sounded friendly—not bored, as Fox had feared.

"Oh yes!" Fox had already forgotten where he had been heading. "We're almost there!"

He started to walk again, paying a little more attention to where he was going. Secretly, he missed Kris' hand in his, for he found it a bit scary in the woods and Kris made him feel safer. Fortunately, it was only a short walk; soon they arrived at the clearing he had been heading for. The moon gave the icy landscape a blue glow. Fox looked up at Kris. "This is what Safira and I made," he explained. "Well, Safira made it, but she got the ideas from me. Beautiful, isn't it?" He carefully moved across the ice. "This one we made yesterday." He put his hand on a wooden board that was attached to an ice structure with a thick rope. He hoisted himself up onto the swing and moved his legs until he was gaining considerable momentum. As soon as he reached the highest point, he let go.

"Fox!" Kris sounded startled.

For a moment, Fox flew through the air; then he transformed into a bird, circled through the air and landed on Kris' shoulder. He let out an excited twitter.

When he jumped off Kris' shoulder and changed back, Kris let out a series of curses. "You scared the shit out of me, man."

The boy looked at him with a fierce expression and Fox flinched. "I didn't mean to scare you," Fox muttered. "I turned into an owl for the first time yesterday. I — I was just excited."

Kris looked past him. Fox wasn't sure whether the boy was still angry with him and a little uncertain, he wobbled on his toes.

"Do you want to go back?" asked Fox quietly. "Maybe it was stupid and you don't like seeing all this."

Kris sat down on the swing. Before Fox knew what was happening, Kris' arm slipped around his waist and pulled him onto his lap. "There's no need for that insecurity, Foxie. I think it's a fantastic evening and you can show me all your works of art in a moment."