01

2015

Adriana slipped on her pointe shoes and stood at the barre as she stretched her feet, soon forming an arabesque with her body.

She did pirouettes throughout the studio, each seeming faster than the last.

A knock sounded on the door, startling her. A few snow flurries escaped her outstretched hand. She waved them away before saying, "Da?"

(Yes?)

The janitor replied, "Domnisoara Ana, studioul este închis, mi-e teama. Trebuie sa pleci."

(Miss Ana, the studio is closed, I'm afraid. You must leave.)

"In regula, multuesc. Lasa-ma sa-mi adun lucruile si voi pleca."

(All right, thank you. Let me gather my things and I'll be off.)

She put her things in her bag, then slipped off her pointe shoes, put them away, and put on her street shoes.

As she left, she waved to the janitor and made her way home.

Her father smiled and said, "Buna printesa. Cum a fost studioul?"

(Hello, princess. How was the studio?)

"Bine, dar am ajuns acolo târziu din nou. Nu am avut prea mult timp de antrenament."

(Fine, but I got there late again. I didn't have much practise time.)

"Chiar trebuie sa nu mai faci asta. Esti la pachet pentru calatoria ta?"

(You really have to stop doing that. Are you packed for your trip?)

"Da. Ma duci la aeroport, nu?"

(Yes. You're taking me to the aeroport, right?)

"Da. Ar trebui sa plecam in scurt timp."

(Yes. We should be leaving shortly.)

Cristina stepped out from her office and walked up to her daughter, then kissed her forehead before saying, "La revedere, dulce fata. Nu uitati sa sunati sau sa scrieti."

(Goodbye, sweet girl. Don't forget to call or write.)

"Nu vreau, mama," Adriana replied.

(I won't, mama.)

Adriana gathered her things and her father took her to the airport.

He kissed the top of her head before saying, "Calatorii sigure, printesa. Îmi va fi dor de tine."

(Safe travels, princess. I'll miss you.)

"Si mie îmi va fi dor de tine, tata."

(I'll miss you too, Papa.)

She grabbed her things, entered the airport, and checked into her flight.

As soon as her flight landed, she exited the plane when she was able and traversed the streets.

She mumbled to herself, "Flat si un studio de dans."

(Flat and a dance studio.)

She came upon the Umbrella Academy mansion and tilted her head.

Adriana walked up to the entrance and knocked, but no one answered. Figuring it abandoned, she entered and her eyes widened.

Grace walked up and said, "Hello, dear."

The brunette's brow furrowed as she stammered out a 'hello' in broken English.

"Do you need a place to stay?" Adriana, understanding a little, nodded. "Welcome then, dear."

"Multumesc."

(Thank you.)

"You're welcome."

Adriana set her stuff down and began exploring the mansion. Little she knew how soon everything would change.

[Episode chapters begin Tuesday!]