INT. INTERROGATION ROOM

Overhead lights buzzed.

Vanya sighed softly as a clock steadily ticked.

INT. HALLWAY

A lock buzzed.

Indistinct chatter sounded and an office phone rang.

A typewriter clacked.

A door lock buzzed.

INT. INTERROGATION ROOM

Vanya looked up as the man closed the blinds and said, "I'm Special Agent Willy Gibbs of the Federal Bureau of Investigation."

"Where's Sissy?" Vanya asked. "I need to talk to her."

A recorder whirred softly. "Mrs. Cooper and the boy have been released back into the custody of Mr. Cooper. What's your last name, Vanya?"

"Hargreeves."

"Do you have any ID that could attest to that? No driver's license, birth certificate? You from around here?"

"No. I'm... I, uh... I'm... I'm not sure."

"You're not sure."

"Well, I was told by the other officer I was hit by a car. I have amnesia."

"Right. Yes, amnesia. They told me about that. So how does that work, exactly?"

"I can't remember anything from before a month ago."

"Except your name, of course."

"Yeah, except my name."

"Far as I can tell, it's like you simply... materialized out of thin air."

"Welcome to my world."

""Vanya. That's a Russian name, isn't it?"

"I'm not Russian."

"If you have amnesia, how can you say for sure? In fact, I'm curious as to how you know your first and last name but you don't remember anything else."

"I don't know."

"How did you send those troopers flying?"

"I'm sorry, I don't know."

Gibbs asked in Russian, "What are you doing here in Dallas?"

Vanya answered in Russian. "I don't know!"

"Hmm." He spoke in English as he sat. "You speak Russian."

"I... I don't... I..."

"Wonderful."

"I must've just leaned a little as a kid."

"A little? I think you speak it very well. What I want to know is, how does a young woman who says she isn't Russian, but speaks Russian, end up working as a nanny for a simple-headed boy in the middle of nowhere, Texas?"

"I need to make a phone call. I have the right to make a call, don't I?"

"If there is one thing the FBI takes seriously, it is a Communist threat to this country. Now, I want answers, real answers, and I will do whatever it takes to get them. You're not going anywhere until I find out who you really are."

A high-pitched tone sounded and Gibbs grunted softly before gasping.

Vanya cried out and Gibbs grunted loudly.

She groaned as a cloth was pressed to her mouth and Gibbs strained as he grunted and panted.

Gibbs groaned and cleared his throat as Vanya passed out.