11

Wednesday, 8:15 a.m.

Adriana walked down the stairs just as Allison stalked away. She tilted her head curiously, but chose not to ask any questions.

Leonard smiled, seeing Adriana. "Hi. I don't think we've met. I'm Vanya's boyfriend Leonard." He studied Adriana. "Were you were part of that Umbrella thing?"

Adriana shook her head. "No. I wasn't."

"Pardon me, but your accent. Are you European?"

"Yes. I'm from Romania."

"It's a beautiful country."

"Yes, it is. Have you been?"

"No, but I've seen pictures."

Adriana glanced at Vanya. "I need to talk to you. Privately." She smiled at Leonard, but there was a subtle threatening look behind her smile.

Vanya glanced at Leonard. "Excuse me."

Leonard nodded and Vanya followed Adriana to another part of the room.

"What is it, Ana?"

"I'm sure you remember those two psychos who attacked the academy."

"Of course I remember them. Why? What'd they do?"

"They took me and Klaus and the woman, Cha-Cha, such an odd name, nearly shot me and killed Detective Patch, Diego's cop friend."

Vanya hugged her and asked, "Are you okay?"

Adriana nodded. "Yes. How did you meet Leonard?"

"He stopped by for a music lesson. Are you sure you're okay, Ana?"

"As I told you, I'm fine. Vanya, be careful around him. There's something off about him. Almost like he's hiding something."

Vanya pursed her lips. "He's a good man. First Allison and now you. You're not even related to us! You don't know what's best for me, so don't try to tell me he's not a good guy."

Adriana narrowed her eyes. "Forgive me for warning you about him! I've seen people like him to have enough suspicion and distrust. You need to stop being so naïve and wake up to the truth!"

"You're wrong about him. You both are."

Adriana's gaze darkened. "We'll see about that."

Without another word, Adriana walked up the stairs to hear Klaus say the name Dave.

Adriana poked her head into the room Klaus was in and asked, "Who's Dave?"

Klaus smiled sadly. "Dave was the love of my life. I don't think I'll find someone like him again."

"I'm sure you will. I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thank you, dear."

Klaus nodded. "Thank you, dear."

"I'm not great at the comforting thing, but I'm here if you need a shoulder to cry on or to sit in silence."

"Thank you."

She nodded and made her way to her room.

Adriana made snowballs and began chucking them at the wall as she muttered incoherent things in Romanian.

Vanya's words had hurt more than she'd let on. All she wanted was to be seen as one of them, but it seemed no one saw her as such. They all seemed to see her as an outsider that had invaded their lives. As sad as it was, she was used to the feeling. The only ones that didn't make her feel that way were Klaus and Five and maybe Diego.

A knock sounded on her door and Diego said, "You okay?"

Adriana nodded slowly. "Yeah. Don't take offense, but your family-"

"They're dicks. I know. Look, whatever was said to you, they're wrong."

"No, they're right. I'm not family. I don't belong here."

"You have powers, right?"

"Well, yes, but-"

"Then you belong here."

"And Vanya? She has no power."

"She's my sister. She was raised by my father. My siblings will come around in time. You just have to be patient."

"Patience is hard."

"Yeah, it is. But it's always worth it."

"I guess. Diego, I'm really sorry about Patch. Are you doing okay?"

Diego shrugged. "Depends how you see it. But thanks."

"I told Klaus I'm here if he needs to cry or wants to sit in silence and the same offer applies to you. I'm not great at the whole talking thing, so don't expect a therapy session."

He chuckled softly. "Noted. I appreciate the offer, Ana, but I'm fine."

Adriana nodded slowly. "Yeah, okay. Um, I'd like to be alone if you don't mind."

"Sure." He stood and walked to the door. "Come down when you're ready."

"Yeah."

Diego left and closed the door.

Adriana was once again left alone in the silence. Just the way she liked it.