Chapter 3

You wake up the following morning to a text from Maeve.

Maeve
Meet me at lunch.

Cryptic as ever.

As you make your way downstairs you see a strangely happy Otis and a rather concerned Jean.

"Eric's outside" he says as he grabs his bag.
"How did Maeve get my number?"
"She asked for it, so I gave it to her and put hers in your phone so you wouldn't be surprised by a random text" he shrugs it off like it's nothing.
"Oh cool, thanks"
You grab a piece of toast and wave goodbye to Jean.

"See you two later!" She shouts as you close the door behind you.

***

"Why are you wearing a suit?" Eric asks, looking mildly confused.
"Oh shit yeh, why are you wearing a suit?"
"Maeve and I have decided to go into business" he says proudly, "oh and you too y/n, something about math and payments"
He gives you a look as if to say 'I'll explain later' so you wave it off as the three of you head to school.

—————————————————————————

Your morning classes flew by and you were almost giddy as the time dragged to lunch. You were sat in maths, next to Aimee, staring at the clock watching as the minutes ticked by.

"Y/N!" Aimee shouted, rather loudly.
"Shit, sorry" you apologise, turning to face her, "what's up?"
"I'm having a party tonight and considering you've helped me a ton in maths i thought you might like to come?"
"Um, sure, I'l have to double check with Otis's mum but yeh, I'll be there" you say with a smile.
"Great! I'll text you!"

As the class is dismissed you find yourself wandering the corridors unsure of where to find Maeve, as her text gave away absolutely nothing indicating to where she'd be, your first port of call was the abandoned toilets.

***

Rounding the corner the strong scent of smoke fills your nostrils, "Maeve...?"
"What?" She snaps not noticing you in the doorway.
"It's me"
She pokes her head out of a stall as she inhales the smoke of her cigarette, "Was wondering when you were going to show." She steps out of the tall stamping on the end of her cigarette and walks towards you. You notice she's wearing the same boots and jacket as the day before as well as the iconic 'Maeve Wiley' nose piercing but today you notice two rather large hoop earrings.

"Want a picture?"
You look down in embarrassment but you hear her laugh under her breath.
"Want one?" She asks holding up a fresh cigarette.
"Yeh sure, why not?" It had been a while since you'd last had one and no one else was around to tell you otherwise. You take it from her and place it between your lips as she leans in lighting it for you. Your eyes linger a little to long as you stare into her bright hazel eyes, glazed over because of the smoke. She catches you staring, again and bites her bottom lip, smirking.

You clear your throat and step back, "Everything okay?"
"Why do you care?" She snaps, shooting you a glaring look.
"Alright, keep your hair on, you asked me here remember?"
She rolls her eyes, "Right yeh, of course," you take a drag of the cigarette and cough a little, "I just wanted to let you know you'll be handling the accounting side of mine and Otis's little 'business'" she states, air-quoting.
"And may I ask what business that is?" You say raising an eyebrow in curiosity.
"He's helping the sexually frustrated students of Moordale for a fair price." She smiles cockily.

You look at her in disbelief, "Otis the boy who cannot wank is helping kids who are having sex with other people?"
Maeve chokes on a laugh and you look at her in shock, "Shit, I wasn't supposed to tell you that"
"That explains the awkwardness." She says still laughing, you can't help but join in at the rare sight of her smile.