Chapter 5

The sun breaks its way through the gap in your curtain as you roll over with a groan. Checking the time you see a few ammusing messages.

Eric - Missed Call 10:46pm

Eric - 10:47pm
Where the hell are you?!

Eric - 11:04
You better have a good reason as to why you're not texting me back.

Eric - Missed Call 11:34pm

Eric - 11:36pm
I'm going to assume you're in bed now, call me tomorrow Y/n Milburn!

You smile as you read Eric's concerned yet funny texts.

Maeve - 01:09am
Hope your head doesn't hurt too much dickhead ;)

Your smile widens even further as you read and then re-read the text from Maeve, but quickly a frown sets in as you remember her leaving you, without a word, in Aimee's front garden.

Just as you get out of bed, your phone rings.

Speaking of, "What's up?" you ask still wiping the sleep out of your eyes.
"Sorry to call so early, I sort of need help cleaning up..." She trails off towards the end, "my parents come back today and the house is awful."
"Of course I'll come and help, give me 15 minutes though," you way half yawning, "I've just woken up."
"You are a life saver!" she praises down the phone, "See you in a few."

***

"You're up early darling." Jean looks to the clock before looking back at you with her comforting smile, "A friend needs my help, otherwise I'd still be asleep" you say with another yawn, "Am I alright to go?"

She waves you off, "Of course you are, come and go as you please."

Grabbing a slice of toaster of off the table you thank Jean as you put your shoes on, practically running out of the door.

"Oh and y/n!" Jean calls after you, you take a step backwards, "your dad called..."
"You're kidding? I haven't heard from either one of those pricks for months."
"I told him you were asleep, he said he'd try again later on." she says with a reassuring smile.

***

"Thank you so much for coming to help." Aimee says as you take the last bag of rubbish from her and follow her out to the bins.
"Honestly Aims it's nothing." you say stuffing a rouge plastic cup into the rubbish bag.
"It was quite the party." her lips forming a straight line out of frustration.
"It wasn't so bad." you nudge her with your elbow and she laughs a little, "Yeh for you maybe. Don't think I didn't catch you and Maeve in my parents room." she smirks, raising an eyebrow at you.
"She was helping me clean up," Aimee looks at you in utter confusion as she stops at her front door.
"I punched some kid in the face who was talking to Maeve like shit." you shrug as if it was nothing.

It was nothing. You'd happily do it again if you were given the chance, regardless of Maeve's mean public personality, deep down you get the sense that she wants someone to care, and you want that someone to be you.

"I'm surprised she didn't kill you for that." she says her jaw hanging wide open.
"She tried," you smile, remembering what Maeve had said to you yesterday evening.

Your phone pings, speak of the devil.

Maeve - 08:23am
You're not busy tomorrow are you?

You - 08:24am
I have 4 friends, 2 of which are kind of hung over and 1 is cleaning so no I'm not busy, why?

Maeve - 08:24am
Meet me after school.