Chapter 6

You sit down, bored, next to Eric in a packed assembly hall as Mr Groff begins talking through today's announcements.

"Please remember to bring in your baked goods for the girls in year 9, who are raising money for Ugandan..." he pauses, leaving the hall in complete silence, "...sanitary products..."

You turn around and see Maeve give him a sarcastic thumbs up before looking around and meeting your eyes, you both smile at eachother before the sound of someone coming through the door tears your attention anyway.

Otis awkwardly runs, bag in hand, to the seat next to Eric, "Where were you this morning?" he asks Otis. Instead of answering his question, you see him out of the corner of your eye shuffle in his seat positionin himself closer to Eric before he clears his throat, "Something really bad happened..."

Eric looks at him concerned whilst your attention is half on the events of Aimee's party and the boys current secret conversation, "I had a... sex dream... about-" your unable to hear who the dreams about as Eric yells, "That's brilliant!"

Everyone in the assembly hall turns their heads staring at the three of you, you look across to where Maeve was sitting and find her, like everyone else, staring at you, but she doesn't seem to be staring because of Eric's outburst, she stares at you as if she's daydreaming. Aimee, taps her arm and she breaks eye contact immediately.

"Right, thank you Mr Effiong." Everyone turns back around simultaneously.

You hear the conversation continue, only hearing little bits, "...it's not fine." Otis huffs in annoyance, "My brain objectified her."

"That's normal!" Eric yells out, causing everyone to look at you all, again.

You look at Otis as Eric stands, "Menstruation is a very good thing." your eyes dart to the floor in embarrassment, "Actually, it's good..." you peel your eyes slowly from the floor, "It's good to have a good clean out..." the whole hall chuckles in ammusment, "it's... very healthy," you see Otis rest his head in his hands in embarrassment before he grabs Erics arm.

"Because if-"
"Sit down."

***

Walking alongside Eric in the corridor he's midway through giving a lecture about why you should've told him about the clinic this morning, "...I can't lie, especially not to Jean," he lets out a sigh, "she sees right through everything."

"She is a therapist E." you rest your back on the lockers next to Eric, "But, so you don't have to lie again, yes we'll tell you in the future." He shoves the remaining books he doesn't need back into his locker before closing it with a smile.

He insisted on walking you to Maths claiming he cannot stand Geography, "I really wanna go to a gay bar," he says randomly, "think of how much fun that could be!"

"You're not old enough for that."
"Excuse me, you're even younger than I am!" he pushes you playfully in the shoulder causing you to crash into someone.

"Oi watch it dickhead!"
"Shit," you turn around ready to apologise but are instead met with the same glossy hazel eyes from yesterday evening, stammering over your words she interjects, "Remember you're meeting me after school." she says more as a threat than a reminder before picking up her things and taking off.

"Y/n Milburn!" Eric grabs your shoulder turning you around to face him, "What is happening afterschool?" he tries reading your face for an answer however you can feel how warm it is and only imagine how red it has gone.

"She didn't give me details, just an address." you say pulling out your phone and showing him, "She's very cryptic."
"She's Maeve Wiley!" he shouts, people turn to look at the two of you with confused glares, "She practically created the word cryptic."
"I don't think-" He waves his hand in your face before continuing, "Is it a date?"
"I don't know."
"Do you have anything to wear?"
"I came unprepared when I was dropped off here without an explanation, so no, I did not come prepared." you explain before turning and heading to Maths, hearing Eric's footsteps jog to catch you up.