01

M I X I E

There's such a thrill and rush when a river of red flows and pools around a body. Especially when you were the cause of opening the flooding gates.

Smoke whisked out from the barrel of the gun as I dropped it to my side with a wicked smile curving at my lips.

"Smoked" I muttered out, because I'm hot shit, or because the bullet in Prisoner 42 was literally giving off smoke from its embedded place in his skull.

I slid the gun back into the holster behind my back and stepped over the body, walking to the door. Stepping out, I closed the steel door and sent a salute to Latrelle, the "Prison Guard." He cleans up the messes my sisters and I make.

A bow of respect and the smallest smile is what I get in return as I pass him and jog up the underground floor stairs. The air blew my short hair back as I walked through the door. My boots made small footfalls as I strolled through the basement where our soldiers crafted IEDS, weapons, and trained.

My hands stuffed in my jacket pockets as I walked up a short flight of stairs to the main floor of the estate. It was specifically only for my sisters and I with the exception of their significant others. I had a request for a private floor for family. Distant chatter is what greets me as I get to the main floor. I follow the murmurs hearing them get louder the closer I get to the conference room.

"Queenie!" I look over at the exaggerated tone of Janey, "Tell Jordan that sunflowers are so much cuter than plain roses." I shook my head with a chuckle as I leaned against the wall near Stella. Jane and Jordan's wedding was coming up in 4 months time.

"Mix?" I let out a breath at Stella's one worded question. My leg propped up on the wall as I let my head roll back, the headache I have slightly ceasing.

"Prisoner 42, Darius Melton, 48, lived in Los Angeles, represented Los Angels as second in command with no children and a deceased spouse that he allegedly killed." I list off the information I got from the moron boredly as I finish with a sigh and slight shake of my head.

"Cause of death?" I rubbed my right temple as I looked back up at my eldest sister.

"Gang violence, his record showed he had affiliations." It didn't actually, he was always under the radar, but with simple hacking into his record, I quickly changed it, a trick I learned from an old friend.

"Now that that's taken care of..." Stella trails off as she closes 42's file and holds a stack of black folders, sliding them down the table for us each to grab.

"New mission?" I breathe out my question as I push off the wall and swipe the folder, flipping it open to our new target.

I hear the small smack of a kiss Jordan places on Janes temple before politely excusing herself. She knew about our lifestyle, but was still a fragile topic. Understandable.

"Dillan Parker, 28, works on the sketchier side of town in a bar, has a record of pulling scams, but never gets arrested due to being a close ally to some large corporation," Stella briefs us before turning to us, "A Mafia is her connection, we need to find out which one." Elaine speaks up before I had a chance to.

"Stell, if she's being protected by a Mafia, why are we stopping her, she hasn't done anything that affects us personally." I lean back in my chair, watching Stella closely as her hands smooth down her pencil skirt.