Chapter 9

Mare woke up that morning, her and Bran unusally close in their sleep. Mare still clutched the necklace Luna had given her only a few hours before, yet it felt like a lifetime ago. She inspected it more, noticing that there were words carved on the side. They looked fresh, like Luna had carved them. It said, "May the Dalyngridge Legacy live on for as long as humanity lives." Mare gasped. This had been a Targaryen family treasure, and her last name was now carved on it. She felt her heart swell in honor and pride.

        "What's that?" Bran asked groggily, rubbing his eyes.

        "It's a necklace that Luna gave to me. She went away last night," Mare said sadly, looking down to the necklace. 

        "That makes both her and Robb," Bran sighed, rolling over to face her. "But it will be better, now that we both get to rule Winterfell now."

        "Yeah it will be, unless we don't mess it up," Mare laughed, and so did Bran. It was a wonderfully sweet sound to hear so early in the morning.

        "I'll go get Hodor and Osha to help you change," Mare said, beginning to walk out the door.

        "No, just Maester Luwin," Bran said, and Mare nodded and ran to get Maester Luwin. Once she did she went to her room in the castle, in which she hadn't visited in such a long time. She passed by Arya's room, and did a double take. Everything was the way they left it. And boy, did she really miss Arya.

        She walked into her less messy room, but still messy nonetheless, and walked to her dresser.

        "You need a bath," a voice said from the doorway. It was Osha.

        Mare felt heat creep into her cheeks and down her neck. "Am I really that bad?"

        Osha chuckled. "Well, Little Lady, all that worrying about Bran is definitely enough to stress you out."

        Mare sighed. "I guess you're right."

        After Mare had a new dress picked out and had gotten in a bath, Osha sat next to her on the floor.

        "Have you bled yet, Little Lady?" she asked, curiosity lacing her voice. Mare blushed yet again and sank a few inches below the water.

        "No, not yet," she grumbled, glaring at the wall in front of her. Osha chuckled.

        "Don't worry, you have a bit of time before you do. Your body is also developing into that of a woman's," Osha said, sounding impressed. Mare just nodded, embarrassed. 

        After her bath, she dressed and put on her cloak, and to Bran's nonstop begging, a wolfskin coverup. She really did feel like his Lady now.

        They both sat in the main house, overseeing the problems of the people of Winterfell. One man was saying how both his sons went to the war with Robb Stark, and how no one was there to help him manage his farm. Mare sat quietly with her back straight the whole time, just like Septa Mordane and Lady Catelyn had taught her. Bran had also sat tall and straight, and never broke eye contact with whoever was speaking at the time. They would glance at each other every so often if a problem came up that could potentially harm everyone, and they talked with their eyes once again.

        "We'll send two orphan boys to help manage your farm," Bran said, offering a smile. He looked very tired and stressed, and Mare supposed she looked the same.

        "We'll send two of the best, My Lord," Mare said, also offering a small smile.

        "Thank you, My Lady," the man said, "thank you, My Lord." He shuffled to the back of the line, and Bran looked at her.