Chapter 15

"Mare, wake up," she heard Osha say, shaking her awake. "It's time to get up, little Lady."

        "Where are we going?" she asked, stretching her arms and legs. She noticed that Bran wasn't beside her, but already strapped onto Hodor's back. She got up and dusted herself off, collecting her bow and arrows as she walked out of the tiny room she had been in. She walked alongside Rickon, and he held her hand tightly.

        They all made their way out of the Crypts and when they saw daylight, Mare slowed and put Rickon behind her.

        "Osha! What're you doing?" Bran hissed, but when they all made it outside, they all fell silent. No one was in Winterfell; it had been burned to the ground. Everything as she, Bran, and Rickon had known it to be was burned to the ground.

        "Oh, Brandon..." Mare whispered, looking around at all the dead men that littered her land. She saw Shaggydog and Summer waiting at the entrance of the Godswood, whining and stamping their paws. Rickon took off running towards them and they all followed him. Next to the tree sat Maester Luwin, not moving a muscle and blood on his cloak.

        Rickon ran to him and Mare followed close behind, and Hodor leaned down so Bran could be eye level with Maester.

        "Tell us what medicines to get so we can heal you," Bran said, his voice shaking slightly.

        "Please Maester, we can make it better!" Rickon begged, clutching his hand. Mare pulled away his cloak to see the wound, and blood soaked his shirt and pants.

        "Oh, dear," Mare breathed. "Maester, tell us what we need and Rickon and I will go get it."

        "I feel fine, children," Maester smiled, his voice labored. It was odd for Mare, seeing Maester Luwin smile. It was something he had never done before.

        "They burned everything down to the ground," Bran said angrily.

        "Not everything. They didn't burn you, and they didn't burn Mare. If you get married, there is some chance that you can rule. You are the next Lord of Winterfell, after your brother. We don't know if he will live yet; Gods be good, he will. But for now, go north. Wear your warmest clothes, pack as much food as you can carry. Jon will take care of you up there," Maester Luwin said, and spat out a cough.

        "I don't want to leave you," Bran said, grabbing his hand. When Rickon started to cry, Mare held him.

        "I don't want to leave you both either. I pulled you into this world, and have seen you every day since. I consider myself very lucky," he said, looking at Bran and Rickon. "And Mare, it has been an honor knowing a little lass like you; you will be a great wife to Bran. I just wish I could be around long enough to see it," he said, smiling sadly to her. She smiled back, tears in her eyes, and fought back letting them fall.

        "Go now, all of you, with Hodor," Maester Luwin said. Mare helped Rickon up and walked out of the Godswood with Hodor and Bran. The only one that stayed back was Osha.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

        They were far enough from Winterfell now; they could still see it, but they were far. Bran was now in a cart with Hodor pushing it, and they each had every bit of food they could find with them. Summer and Shaggydog had gone ahead a little ways to scout out and look for anything unusual. But so far, they were fine. 

        Mare looked back one last time to see her home. Plumes of black smoke were rising from Winterfell, the sky beginning to darken and rain threatening to spill across the lands. Just a short time ago, she was promised to be the Lady of Winterfell and was wating pies with Lord Brandon Stark.

        Now, she was more like a peasant girl running from her fears.